APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

1987.06.28 - The Marquee, London, England

Go down

1987.06.28 - The Marquee, London, England Empty 1987.06.28 - The Marquee, London, England

Post by Soulmonster Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:36 pm

Date:
June 28, 1987.

Venue:
The Marquee.

Setlist:
01. Welcome to the Jungle
02. Out Ta Get Me
03. Rocket Queen
04. Nightrain
05. My Michelle
06. It's So Easy
07. Mr. Brownstone
08. Don't Cry
09. You're Crazy
10. Paradise City
11. Whole Lotta Rosie
12. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
ENCORE:
13. Move To The City
14. Mama Kin

[It is quite possible Knockin' on Heaven's Door was played twice at this show, but it is not clear when exactly].

Line-up:
Axl Rose (vocals), Izzy Stradlin (rhythm guitarist), Slash (lead guitarist), Duff McKagan (bass) and Steven Adler (drums).

Quotes:
Those were the first publicized live shows we did as a signed band. I was born in England, and it was very important to me to play in front of an English audience. The version of 'Mr. Brownstone' on the live album was recorded at one of those gigs. I was just playing a Led Paul through a half-stack back then, but it sounded so cool [Guitar World, January 2000]
Those Marquee shows were loud and hell-bent; what I remember, I remember fondly [Slash's autobiography, p184]
At some point during out visit [to the UK], we took the ferry across to Amsterdam. While there, we received word that due to overwelming demand, another show was added at the Marquee. We returned to perform a kick-ass set. The show went great, and we thanked the English fans for being so gracious [Steven's autobiography, "My Appetite for Destruction", 2010, p128]
1987.06.28 - The Marquee, London, England Rightarrow Next concert: 1987.08.14.
1987.06.28 - The Marquee, London, England Leftarrow Previous concert: 1987.06.22.

Last edited by Soulmonster on Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76232

Back to top Go down

1987.06.28 - The Marquee, London, England Empty Re: 1987.06.28 - The Marquee, London, England

Post by Soulmonster Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:43 pm

Review in Kerrang! July23-August 5, 1987:

GUNS N' ROSES
Marquee, London

LOOK, I read those reviews too. Y'know, the ones written after Guns n' Roses' first-of-three shows at The Marquee Club, wherein the authors claimed they were 'disappointed' at a band who failed to live up to 'expectations'.

The general negativity in the media towards this five-piece following their debut British gig smacked of 'backlash' to me, but since I was absent from the date, I can't comment on the bow' performance that night. But, hey, I was there on the succeeding two nights and if the second concert was sensational, then the final one was beyond even such a superlative.

You want me to describe the feeling and atmosphere on that final night? Try these adjectives for brain size: raw, savage, furious, emotional, dangerous, rebellious, vibrant, hungry, intoxicating ... a mixture that thought was supposed to define rock n' roll.

The Stones, Aerosmith, Rose Tattoo, Sex Pistols, Motorhead, AMC, yeah some have tried to encapsulate W. Axl Rose and his jetpack jousters as no more than clones of any or all of the above. In reality, though, Guns n' Roses might have influences drawn from such denizens yet they are very much individual in their stance, instantly recognisable and, at this point in time, without a peer.

There was an edge of the uncontrollable on this Sunday night that always threatened to take everybody over the sanity edge, a bourbon-fuelled spirit of the rollercoaster, which at any moment would career off the rails. But then, this is perhaps the ultimate fascination with all great bands, the passion and intensity is so overwhelming it comes close to engulfing us ell, only being held at bay by that indescribable combination of charisma and musicianship, of which G n' R have plenty.

Izzy and Slash tore their flesh to golden shreds on the strings of their guitars as if ripping out a cat's innards and then street-orchestrating the screaming effect. Bassist Duff possessed a sunken, glowering glow, whilst drummer Steven Adler kicked against the skins as if attempting anchored surgery without anaesthesia.

And holding the instrumental plunder together is Axl, a born frontman who 'just' happens to have a positively schizoid vocal range. And those songs! It wasn't enough that we got staggeringly spectacular covers of Dylan's 'Knocking On Heaven's Door', Aerosmith's 'Mama Kin' and AC/ DC's 'Whole Lona Rosie', they also had to spice up proceedings
with a selection of numbers from both the 'Live ?!.® Like A Suicide' EP and their unbelievably depth-charged, totalitarian debut album 'Appetite For Destruction, with the mescaline magnetism of 'Paradise City' proving to be the night's highlight, sucking everybody into the virile vortex of its already classic personality.

See 'em in September/October when they return with Aerosmith.
MALCOLM DOME
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76232

Back to top Go down