APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

1987.09.17 - Sanegar Theatre, New Orleans, USA

Go down

1987.09.17 - Sanegar Theatre, New Orleans, USA Empty 1987.09.17 - Sanegar Theatre, New Orleans, USA

Post by Soulmonster Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:21 pm

Date:
September 17, 1987.

Venue:
Saenger Theatre.

Setlist:
(Unknown setlist)

Line-up:
Axl Rose (vocals), Izzy Stradlin (rhythm guitarist), Slash (lead guitarist), Duff McKagan (bass) and Steven Adler (drums).

Quotes:
It's sort of a rock 'n' roll ritual for the headlining act to play a practical joke on the opening band on the last night of the tour. I was definitely the people person of the band, so I was always in with the roadies and the bands we toured with. The Cult's crew, and the band themselves, were all in on this practical joke. In New Orleans, during one of the last songs in our set, the Cult's crew came out and took my drum set apart piece by piece. First, the cymbal, then the cymbal stand, finally the snare drum, until I was just sitting there looking like a dork. Izzy, Duff, Axl, and Slash were all pointing an laughing at me. The the guys brought the drum set back one piece at a time. Now, usually the opening bands dare not play a practical joke back at the headliners, but we got along so well, we knew it'd be cool. We got naked, with only towels wrapped around our waists. Then the five of us, and a couple of our roadies, walked onstage while the Cult was playing. I had mixed a disgusting concoction of eggs, mustard, and relish in a Styrofoam cup. I walked behind Ian [Astbury] holding it. He didn't see me, and I motioned to the crowd, "Should I?" holding it over his head, ready to pour, and they were like, "Yeah!". He turned around and started chasing me all over the stage. He grabbed at me and pulled the towel off of my waist. I was totally naked onstage in front of everyone [Steven's autobiography, "My Appetite for Destruction", 2010, p. 131-132]
1987.09.17 - Sanegar Theatre, New Orleans, USA Rightarrow Next concert: 1987.09.29.
1987.09.17 - Sanegar Theatre, New Orleans, USA Leftarrow Previous concert: 1987.09.16.

Last edited by Soulmonster on Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76232

Back to top Go down

1987.09.17 - Sanegar Theatre, New Orleans, USA Empty Re: 1987.09.17 - Sanegar Theatre, New Orleans, USA

Post by Soulmonster Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:54 am

Ahead of tomorrow's gig in New Orleans, Mikel Schaefer from 12 KLSA News reminisces about the last time The Cult and Gn'R played together in New Orleans:

Mikel Schaefer wrote:Guns N' Roses & The Cult: A concert reunion is in order

Have you ever wished you could have a rock and roll redo? You know that show you missed or if you would have arrived to the show a little early to see that opening band because they went on to become MEGA-stars?

This weekend will afford some here in New Orleans that EXTREMELY rare chance with Guns N' Roses and The Cult at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome Sunday night.

Almost 29 years ago The Cult played the Saenger Theater and at the time an unknown band out of L.A. named Guns N' Roses opened the show. The Cult were riding high off of their third album "Electric" with hits like "Love Removal Machine", "Wildflower" and "Lil Devil."

With a name like Guns N' Roses in the late 80's, they sounded as if they could be any hard rocking hair band you might want to skip coming out of L.A. at the time. We hadn't heard of them or any of their music so it was hard to judge their value as an opening act.

A bunch of us Cult fans couldn't wait to see them live and rolled downtown to the Saenger early enough to catch the opening act if we wanted to. Now nearly 30 years have passed and while my recall fades with each passing day I do remember hanging out in the lobby as the opening act began.

I walked over to the huge door leading into the theater, opened it up, heard a slab of noise from the band playing on stage and basically shut the door, thinking "ah, whatever." I never walked inside to see Guns N' Roses, missed it, all of it, not a second thought because that night It was all about The Cult.

Specifics of The Cult's performance escape me but they rocked and if my memory serves me, the band said it was the last night of their U.S. tour. What I also think I remember is some members of Guns N' Roses walked out on the stage toward the end of the show with just towels on and Ian Astbury tackled one of them trying to rip off his towel.

If that never happened, I promise I've believed that since 1987 so please forgive me!

Some months after the show I saw a video on MTV and I thought who in the heck is this? (I didn't say heck) It was "Welcome to the Jungle" by of course, Guns N' Roses.

I said to myself, "Wait, is that the band that opened up for The Cult?" That's right, I pretty much ignored one of the biggest debuts in the history of rock and roll right there in downtown New Orleans.

How cool would it have been to say 'I saw Guns N' Roses open for The Cult' before most of the world had a clue? But I couldn't. I vowed never to miss another opening act and for the most part I've stuck to it and thankfully so because I've seen some great openers that have gone on to great success.

1987.09.17 - Sanegar Theatre, New Orleans, USA 11115560_G
Read the full story here: http://www.ksla.com/story/32572993/guns-n-roses-the-cult-a-concert-reunion-is-in-order
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76232

Back to top Go down