APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2013.03.28 - Yas Island, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

2 posters

Go down

2013.03.28 - Yas Island, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates Empty 2013.03.28 - Yas Island, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

Post by Soulmonster Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:38 pm

Date:
March 28, 2013.

Venue:
Yas Island.

Setlist:
01. Chinese Democracy
02. Welcome to the Jungle
03. It's So Easy
04. Mr. Brownstone
05. Estranged
06. Better
07. Rocket Queen
Richard's guitar solo
08. Live and Let Die
09. This I Love
10. Used to Love Her
Dizzy's piano solo - No Quarter
11. Catcher in the Rye
12. You Could Be Mine
Dj's guitar solo - Mi Amor
13. Sweet Child O' Mine
Jam - Another Brick in the Wall Pt. II
14. November Rain
15. Objectify
16. Don't Cry
17. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
18. Nightrain
ENCORE
19. Patience
20. The Seeker
21. Paradise City

Quotes:
We were there for a couple of days, and I remember we would go to this bar that was by the hotel. We made a lot of friends with other people that were there - some really nice, wonderful people. One of the women there was from Lebanon, and she didn't know anything about me, and I didn't know anything about her. We all had a wonderful time, just hanging out. Just being people, just being normal. She started talking to me and told me she was from Lebanon, and she'd never actually met a Jewish person before. And she was not young. She had to be in her 30's or 40's. And I was the first Jewish person she met. She said, “you know what, if you're an example of a Jewish person, then I like Jews”. [...]And you realize it's not about being a Jewish person. It's about being a person. We're all people first, and everything else is just a label that really does not define who we are. We are defined by the person we are. The more I travel, the more I tour, and the more people I meet in different parts of the world, the more I realize that we all have a common spirit. And it tends to be complicated by so many outside things. There are so many things that bring us together, and it's really a shame when we look at the things that separate us, or the things that make us different and look at them as something bad. Everybody's different, yet everybody's the same at the same time. There are the things that make us unique, there are the things that make us individual, yet they're the things that make us all part of this one entire web of humanity that is truly one being. It's good to acknowledge and accept all of that. Probably the greatest thing I've gotten out of touring is going to places where people tell you that you're not welcome. You realize that everybody has the same things in their spirit that they want and need, just as human beings. And it's consistent. It's something that's part of our genetics, part of our makeup, part of everything, and it's with everybody. And we tend to lose sight of it with all this other stuff, but if you take away the bullshit, all the little things, all the day-to-day crap, everything that we're told for some other reason, you will see that we're a common existence. Everyone's kind of tied together..[October 10, 2013]

Line-up:
Axl Rose (vocals), Richard Fortus (rhythm guitarist), Bumblefoot (lead guitarist), Dj Asbha (lead guitarist), Tommy Stinson (bass) and Frank Ferrer (drums), Dizzy Reed (keybards), Chris Pitman (keyboards).

2013.03.28 - Yas Island, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates Rightarrow Next concert: 2013.03.30.
2013.03.28 - Yas Island, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates Leftarrow Previous concert: 2013.03.24.

Last edited by Soulmonster on Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:00 pm; edited 7 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76206

Back to top Go down

2013.03.28 - Yas Island, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates Empty Re: 2013.03.28 - Yas Island, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

Post by Soulmonster Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:39 pm

Guns N’ Roses gig for Dubai artist Jay Wud

Staff Report
Published: 12:11 March 18, 2013

Dubai rocker Jay Wud has just been announced as the opening act for rock powerhouse Guns N’ Roses when they perform at the du Arena on Yas Island in Abu Dhabi on March 28.

Wud has previously opened for another rock legend, Led Zeppelin’s Robert Plant in Tunis in 2006 and Aerosmith, when they performed in the Capital in 2009.

The Lebanese singer’s band includes Imad A Jawad on Bass and Pascal Elias on drums.
Source: http://gulfnews.com/about-gulf-news/al-nisr-portfolio/tabloid/guns-n-roses-gig-for-dubai-artist-jay-wud-1.1159571
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

2013.03.28 - Yas Island, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates Empty Re: 2013.03.28 - Yas Island, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

Post by puddledumpling Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:03 am

Never heard Jay Wud - wonder what band sounds like....hmmm. Think it's on YouTube?

Well all right! Sounds like a relative to some of Ron's solo work and some of the Chinese Democracy material I hope they absolutely do play in UAE.

Last edited by puddledumpling on Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : addition)
puddledumpling
puddledumpling

Plectra : 6643

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:00 pm

Review in The National:

Guns N’ Roses memorable Abu Dhabi show

Ellen Fortini
Mar 30, 2013

For a band led by a singer who is notoriously late for concerts, it was a welcome sign of great things to come when Guns N’ Roses, and indeed Axl Rose, appeared, rather promptly, on stage at du Arena at 9.13pm on Thursday night.

We can forgive them those 13 minutes as they rewarded our patience with two and half hours of high-energy rock n’ roll. The line-up of members was the same as the last time they toured in Abu Dhabi in December 2010, but this time the show sounded even better for their long-term collaboration.

As the guitarist Ron “Bumblefoot” Thal told The National earlier in the week: “We’ve become like a family.” The band was gelled, tight and put on a memorable show. Every bit of it came across as genuine, even Rose himself, who laughed, smiled, danced, strutted and spun his way through the set with a few well-timed and good-natured microphone stand tosses.

For a man who is famously aloof and rarely does appearances outside of concerts, Rose’s outgoing on-stage personality – and multitude of hat and sunglasses costume changes – impressed. No lip synching from this guy – a physical performer, he ran himself breathless at times – yet Rose hit the right notes all the time, every time, proving he can still snarl, scream and roar.

The 28-song set kicked off with the title track and first song on the band’s latest album, Chinese Democracy, released in 2008.

Then a non-stop flurry of best-known hits and fan favourites, including Welcome to the Jungle, Mr Brownstone, Better and Rocket Queen, as well as the guitar-soaked Estranged, which wasn’t on the set list in 2010, came along before the guitarist Richard Fortus deftly delivered a stunning guitar solo.

The band’s cover of Wings’ Live and Let Die, last performed at the same venue by its original artist, Paul McCartney, in 2011, with jaw-dropping fireworks atop the du Arena, featured similarly timed pyrotechnics from behind the stage, giving the band the chance to pay tribute to McCartney without trumping his memorable performance. Continuing with classic rock covers, the keyboardist Dizzy Reed’s solo was a piano version of Led Zeppelin’s No Quarter.

The guitarist Dj Ashba connected with the crowd, perched on high, prompting for responses and encouraging sing-alongs. An absolutely original performer in a lead-guitar position that arguably replaces original member Slash, Ashba delivered his personal style and sound on most songs, including his solo, the self-composed Mi Amor.

It’s fair to say that Ashba respected the best-known Guns N’ Roses solos by playing what the fans wanted to hear the way they wanted to hear them, including on the anthemic ballad Sweet Child O’ Mine. Rose took a turn on the piano for a cover of Pink Floyd’s Another Brick in the Wall, which seamlessly segued into the epic November Rain.

The band performed a cover of Thal’s own song, Objectify, featuring the guitarist on lead vocals before Rose returned for the Use Your Illusion-era ballad Don’t Cry. Switching gears, Rose, Ashba, Fortus, Thal and the bassist Tommy Stinson continuously crossed paths on the stage, sprinting from side to side to rouse the crowd to sing along to the band’s famous cover of the Bob Dylan classic Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door. The band ended the set with Nightrain before returning for an encore with the classic acoustic Patience, a cover of The Who’s The Seeker and topping off the show with the crowd favourite, Paradise City.

Now, 26 years after the band’s debut album Appetite for Destruction was released, the songs still sound fresh. Songs that were originally recorded by five musicians sound even better performed by eight. Rose has assembled a face-lifted Guns N’ Roses with what comes across as a “more the merrier” mentality. This century’s GN’R’s sound is deeper with three guitarists and two keyboardists, including Chris Pitman, and rounded out by powerhouse drummer Frank Ferrer. Each member brings the best of his personal influences to the stage to create an eclectic sound tied together by Rose’s familiar vocals. These are reasons why, nearly three decades on, Guns N’ Roses still fills stadiums.

Read more: http://www.thenational.ae/arts-culture/music/guns-n-roses-memorable-abu-dhabi-show#ixzz2P2UywNJz
Follow us: @TheNationalUAE on Twitter | thenational.ae on Facebook
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:47 am

Interview with Jay Wud:

Jay Wud: Opening for Guns N’ Roses an honour

Dubai rocker talks about opening for some of rock music’s very best

By Yusra Farzan, Staff Reporter
Published: 10:27 April 1, 2013

When Guns N’ Roses rocked Dubai last weekend, opening the stage for the legendary rock band was Dubai-based Jay Wud, a Lebanese rocker who has also opened for Aerosmith and Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin in the past. Jay Wud and his bandmates — bassist Imad Jawad and drummer Pascal Elias — came out with their second album, False Utopia, in November, to critical acclaim. And with a move from Lebanon to the UAE recently, this group is one to watch out for.

Soundbites caught up with Wud following the momentous occasion of opening for Axl Rose and co.

Q: What was it like opening for Guns N’ Roses?

A: It was an honour to share the stage with the mighty Guns N’ Roses. No words can describe our happiness and the great feedback we got from the crowd.

Q: Did you get a chance to meet the mighty Axl Rose? What was he like?

A: No, I didn’t. I happened to be hanging out with their guitarist Ron Bumblefoot Thal before the show though. The Guns N’ Roses production manager took me to Axl’s private room which felt like walking into a magical museum.

Q: You have also opened for Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin and Aerosmith. What are some pointers you picked up from them?

A: It was an eye opener. Back then, I was a session musician with other bands. I learned a lot from sharing stages with rock icons. The best thing I learned is the humility most of these legends have.

Q: How has the response been to False Utopia?

A: We are so blessed for all the support we got from our fans on False Utopia. It’s been very positive. We still have a long way to go and will keep performing for them live.

Q: What is your utopia?

A: Equality.

Q: How has the move from Lebanon to Dubai been? Are people here more open to rock music?

A: It’s been a life changer. I have met a lot of good people here and my career took a different path, thanks to Dubai. It is a different scene like in any country, it’s growing on me.

Q: What are some projects you’re working on?

A: We are touring the Middle East now and we won’t rest till we spread our music out there to everyone.

For updates on Jay Wud and his band, follow them on twitter @jaywud, on Facebook Facebook.com/jaywudmusic, or on their website jaywud.com.

Source: http://gulfnews.com/about-gulf-news/al-nisr-portfolio/tabloid/jay-wud-opening-for-guns-n-roses-an-honour-1.1165211
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:21 pm

2013.03.28 - Yas Island, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates Large1RFuRKF9h2Yn99rldSo5ly3-kf4nvEb2FO9BkKO2EYE_zps0092c1df

2013.03.28 - Yas Island, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates Large8wbAGGIsEnmF0D4bJDOrSmET8_pp77sA5e7Ef-4XdMw_zps588296b5

2013.03.28 - Yas Island, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates Large9qlAbrnAR4-MpoHbN79DMmScb7-Cwp-bptwAi5W_TwI_zps50684d28

2013.03.28 - Yas Island, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates Large9ShaNTPZBV0v_ifs7F6R-zQQP3W1uflHfO8-huc3D6I_zpsf703dd56
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:23 pm

2013.03.28 - Yas Island, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates LargeArqS1nGUoyghLiqwxbU-JmdYFcQkcwA-jhL9VrHhX9k_zps15a2c22d

2013.03.28 - Yas Island, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates LargecREOc2rCUYaClJXe7gdV93ZQzFMwyGLxCEMSEfY9620_zps60f4b272

2013.03.28 - Yas Island, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates LargeCZ4XVIa_bA5-al5OCnNg6xoUomPofQgFsPWZ8mZ6A6Q_zps576d3f73

2013.03.28 - Yas Island, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates LargeK7udIBo7gHXR_6BDQwyOlWLt9Ni-pQTYzIuok2Orjr8_zps28f8db3b
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:24 pm

2013.03.28 - Yas Island, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates LargekyNQAf5VTLKBtnGWuY3bJSWp1K0ETfcKFr06RNoNqZ0_zps7c193aae

2013.03.28 - Yas Island, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates LargeL2ibngi0UwXtE1Tn_pVZdLdtINEStUxw_9AyXoWmguU_zpsf60de661

2013.03.28 - Yas Island, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates LargeMZOP3_5D2z5qJtWHZh88UZZRZAWQzaSsPFpx0uub_C4_zps884ed139

2013.03.28 - Yas Island, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates LargeNVJCL0wMu5Ms5U5PEmAWusUQvchXgZpx9F_wZu0dg38_zpsb0d7873a
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:26 pm

2013.03.28 - Yas Island, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates Largeoh1XJbJuLDEh9JOywpbePEAgyDsw1KxOELTFHjVBX2I_zps4d988602

2013.03.28 - Yas Island, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates Larger1mLVAdgzjDix2wFrGLc5PJVAOFp1rAeqrkUK0vZtdI_zps157b1a7f

2013.03.28 - Yas Island, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates LargeYjWmTsQw9xcEUFfqqtBg-cRpgrLwCR5vmqmTNECtLqo_zpsd2fca899

2013.03.28 - Yas Island, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates LargeytY_TaiR28rqx_Oxr6ndwYuc_fTdgQaKsVme63eNFAY_zps1a4cff8e

Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down