APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

Gilby Clarke

3 posters

Go down

Gilby Clarke Empty Gilby Clarke

Post by Soulmonster Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:27 pm

Gilby Clarke NeWborder_zpsk3uwcgt1
GILBY CLARKE
Gilby Clarke Gilby_Clarke_2_2012

Pseudonyms/former names:
Gilbert (Gilby) Clarke.

Date of birth:
August 17, 1962.

Band position:
Rhythm guitar.

Time with Guns N' Roses:
1991-1994.

Shows with the band:
Gilby played at least {GILBYSHOWS} concerts with the band.
Biography:
Gilbert "Gilby" Clarke (born August 17, 1962, in Cleveland, Ohio) is an American musician, singer, songwriter and record producer best known for a 3-year tenure as the rhythm guitarist of Guns N' Roses, replacing Izzy Stradlin in 1991 during the Use Your Illusion Tour. Before he joined Guns N' Roses, he was a member of the Los Angeles band Candy, which he left to form his own band, Kill For Thrills. Following his departure from the Guns N' Roses, Clarke went on to forge a solo career as well playing guitar with Slash's Snakepit, Kat Men, Heart, Nancy Sinatra, Kathy Valentine (of the Go-Go's), MC5 and forming his own group Rock Star Supernova with members of Metallica and Mötley Crüe. Clarke's production work includes albums by L.A. Guns, Bullets and Octane, The Bronx and Vains of Jenna.

Quotes:
About meeting Gilby for the first time. Well, in the very beginnings of everything for Hollywood Rose and L.A. Guns, Gilby did one of our first gigs together at a place called Madame Wong's. So the very first day I ever met him he was doing live sound for both bands. And I stayed in touch with him and we'd been friends ever since. I was about 17 and he was 19 or 20 back then. At the time he was actually in a pretty popular L.A. band called Candy, which was a very poppy group, not heavy at all. But he's slowly evolved getting more into rock. Gilby's a really even headed guy. Out of all the guys I know from that time, he's the most sensible one [Giving It Both Barrels: Dr Rock Takes On Tracii Guns Of The LA Guns, 2010]

Gilby's awesome. Gilby's like so mellow. When Gilby joined the band, and it was brought up, I wasn't into it at all, because Gilby kinda been in the early days considered, at least in my mind and in girls[?] minds, as Izzy's rival. I didn't know what Gilby was into and what Gilby was doing and I didn't know Gilby personally but it was just a name we always heard and there was this other guy I thought was Gilby. He was cool, but I just didn't want to work with him, but that wasn't who Gilby was, I never knew that. [...] There were certain things we weren't getting from Izzy that we really wanted, and everybody was like giving a certain amount, and we felt that everybody should give energy  in a certain way to Guns N' Roses, and we weren't getting that. Gilby came in and learned all the songs and got out there on stage and liked performing for the crowd and liked running run. [...] When I went down to the studio before we went on tour to see this person play knowing that we pretty much had to go with this person or we'd be fucked. [...] I walked in and he was playing 'Coma' and rocking out and it was like, done deal, this is perfect[The making of November Rain, 1991?]

When Izzy left last year to pursue his solo career, we realized that we either had to find a new guitarist in three weeks or cancel a bunch of gigs. We didn't want to cancel any shows, so we started searching. I had a piece of paper with about 30-odd candidates listed. Duff was looking around and Axl had his ideas, but nobody seemed right. For a while it looked like Dave Navarro from Jane's Addiction was going to join, but he couldn't get it together, so that never happened. I was tearing my hair out, trying to figure who to get. We obviously couldn't put an ad in the paper. Someone randomly suggested one of Izzy's friends, Gilby Clarke. I had thought about him, but I hadn't seen him since our earliest club days. So I called him up, and he came down. He was the only guy we auditioned. One guy! Gilby fit in so naturally that I figured it was a godsend; I didn't feel like we had to look any further. He just came in and did the work required. He's a great guy. He's a little older than I am, he's been on the road for a long time, and he's tough as nails. Gilby and I have become friends - that's how we relate to each other. We didn't want a session guy or some weird, star-fucker type who was into the gig for the glory, or to further a solo career. We wanted a dedicated band member, and he has grown into that [Trial by fire, Guitar World, November 1992]

We knew Gilby when me and Axl were in Hollywood Rose, which was ages ago. He was in another band, and I met him then. He was a cool guy then and I hadn't talked to him in all these years that Guns N' Roses had been together. I discreetly went through, like, 15 guitar players trying to find somebody to do the spot because we only had three weeks before the first show. Someone mentioned Gilby and I thought, "Yeah, I know him." I talked to him on the phone. He was the only guy that I actually rehearsed. [...] he's fit in great. He's got a great guitar sound, and he can play all the songs (laughs) and play them well. [Guitar For The Practising Musician, November 1992]

We don’t know if we’re gonna be writing with Gilby or somebody else. We know we want to play with Gilby, but we’re not sure about the writing [Hit Parader, 1992]

I had been thinking about the one guitar player that I'd seen who reminded me of Izzy: he was in a band called Candy that had opened up for Hollywood Rose back at Madame Wong's West before I was even in a band with Axl. His name was Gilby Clarke, and as far as I could recall he was the only guy that I knew with an Izzy-like feel, which wasn't easy to come by. I got in touch with Gilby and he wanted the gig more than anything. He learned sixty songs in two weeks, he came in for an audition and just nailed it. A couple of weeks later, we rehearsed him with the whole band and we put a set together, and like that, we were back in fighting shape [Bozza, Anthony, & Slash (2007). Slash. Harper Entertainment: New York, p. 345-346]

Even though the band always sounded cool, Izzy and I never sat down together and worked out guitar parts. We weren't really a team, in that sense. We would just jam, and he'd play things his way and I'd play things my way. And even though Gilby is essentially playing Izzy's parts, he adjusts them so there is more of a sense of unity - more of a sense that we are playing together. This isn't to put Izzy down in any way, it's just that Gilby and I have a different relationship [Trial by fire, Guitar World, November 1992]

Gilby is awesome, and a pleasure to be around. He works the stage and the crowd really well. Also, he helps give us a sense of rock 'n' roll normalcy -- if there is such a thing. Gilby has a way of understanding and dealing with situations that makes the whole trip more tolerable. His insights from being on the outside of GNR help us. He has his opinions of what's going on with us, and it helps us get a different perspectives because Slash, Duff and myself have been in GNR for so long and are so close to it that sometimes we don't see things like other people would. Every now and then he'll say something to me, and I'll go, "Wow, l didn't see it that way." He's been putting himself through his own rock-and-roll education with his other groups for years. Now he's a part of Guns N' Roses ["I, Axl" Del James, RIP Magazine - 1992]

Comparing Gilby to Izzy: Izzy would never pat you on the back or anything like that. If I have an anxiety attack onstage, Gilby will come up to me, put his arm around me and say, "I'm here. I'm here for you, man." and he means it. Gilby won't play until I'm better. Gilby's busting his ass right now, playing with a broken wrist. He's a great player and a great guy [RIP, November 1993].

The Gilby thing did piss Axl off. But Gilby was pissed off too. He was shocked when he was fired, because there was no other reason behind it other than Axl had made up his mind. And of course I had to be the fucking messenger of bad news, which was fuckked for me because Gilby and I are really close. You don't play with people like that. I hooked up with Gilby and rightly so, because Gilby didn't deserve that kind of treatment - especially when he covered our ass so we could complete the world tour when Izzy quit. I wasn't mad at Gilby. I can do what the fuckk I want. And if he wanted to work with me after all this shit...[Kerrang! - January, 1995]

Explaining why Gilby isn't in the band That's a sensitive subject, it wasn't my idea. Guns could have been history a while back. [...] Gilby was a godsend. We only had two weeks before the next leg of the tour started. He's the only guitar player we auditioned. He's great. What happened was we were rehearsing and Gilby was really out of it one day. The morale of the band, we aware all trying to keep it together and he was the odd man out that day. I was complaining and then Axl called me that same night and said he didn't want to work with Gilby anymore for a lot of different reasons. In a way I sort of went along with it, at least Axl thought I was going along with it because I had my own complaints from that night on rehearsal. This was about a year ago. [...] [The firing] was never etched in stone, but it was etched in Axl's mind. I knew there was no argument. Axl probably thought I was totally behind it. I went to talk to Gilby because I didn't want him to hear anything on the street. I told him what was going on, and everything was in a state of flux for a while [Slash - Welcome to the Snakepit, Metal Edge Magazine, April 1995]

The whole Guns N' Roses situation with Gilby wasn't as cut and dry as it seems. He wasn't really fired officially. Axl just didn't wanna write with him. He never even got a chance to write with us. And so, I told Gilby that that was going on. So he didn't hear it from somewhere else. Because if you know, in this business, leaks are like crazy. And it's just best to be upfront and honest about thing. So I told him what was going on. Then he had words with Axl and then in turn he had words with Duff. And that sort of cemented the, you know, the relationship, the departure. Whatever you wanna call it. [...] We were always good friends. It had nothing to do with me. So, when we started working together again, it was like nothing had ever happened. Although there is some bitterness about the whole Guns situation, 'cause it didn't really make that much sense [97.7 HTZ-FM, April 1995]

He's a great guy. But I don't know if he was the good guy to write the new album with us. We did some songs together, but Axl thought it was not good enough [Interview in French magazine, 1996]

On why Gilby was fired: It was something between him and Axl, I'm not informed completely [Folha De Sao Paulo Journal 21st of July 1995]

We all got a phone call, he's out. And we were kind of bummed out 'cause we really like Gilby. He's a really nice guy. Now he's suing us [Outsiders responsible for Guns N' Roses reuniting? Toronto Sun, September 4, 1996]

After a few months during which everyone did their won thing and we got nothing done when we met, Axl fired Gilby without consulting anyone. His rationale was that Gilby had always been a hired hand and that he couldn't write with him [Bozza, Anthony, & Slash (2007). Slash. Harper Entertainment: New York, p.377]

I got a call yesterday that my friend Gilby Clarke (a former GN'R guitarist) got in a bad motorcycle accident when a truck pulled out and took a left in front of him. When I went to see him in the hospital on Monday night, Gilby further told me that the guy in the truck just took off, leaving the scene of the accident [Reverb, January 2010]

I just emailed him today! "Hey, I am coming down [to South America], and missed you by a few days!" [Vorterix.com, November 2013]

Gilby Clarke NeWborder_zpsk3uwcgt1

Last edited by Soulmonster on Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:30 pm; edited 7 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76206

Back to top Go down

Gilby Clarke Empty Re: Gilby Clarke

Post by Uli Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:00 am

What Gilby says here about how his time with GN'R ended, is quite telling in a way...

In a brand new interview with Front Row Ravers, former GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Gilby Clarke was asked about his time with the group more than two decade ago. He responded: "I can't really tell you anything new. It's been 25 years and the stories have all been told. When I joined the band, it was a popular band. It was easier for me coming in, as the band was successful. What was hard was fitting in the group that had already existed, personality-wise, musically and things like that. I was a good match — my guitar playing fit, my image fit and my personality fit. These are the key things that don't usually fit always. They enjoyed having new blood around too. The easy stuff was we were playing sold-out concerts and records were selling. The hard part is when records aren't selling, and concerts aren't selling."

Regarding how his journey with GUNS N' ROSES ended, Clarke said: "Well, [it was] really simple. Axl [Rose, GUNS N' ROSES lead singer] one day just wanted to change things up. I honestly didn't know what he wanted to do. He never talked to me directly; I always dealt with Slash. There was one week I was in the band and then the next week he was just pissed off with something. And finally one day the checks stopped coming. That's how it all ended."

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/gilby-clarke-on-his-exit-from-guns-n-roses-one-day-the-checks-stopped-coming/#4qYwAv28SSdrQ57s.99

http://tinyurl.com/q4kusp4
Uli
Uli

Plectra : 9422

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:13 pm

Perhaps the same thing that has happened this time with Dj?
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:58 am

About Gilby's new solo record:

Former GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Gilby Clarke says that he is "really excited" about his upcoming solo album. "I have not done a record since 2003, so it's been a long time coming," he told Gibson Guitars at this weekend's NAMM show in Anaheim, California (see video below)

"For me, I can't do a record unless I feel good about the songs. I wanna make a record that I wanna listen to," he continued. "So, these songs I'm really excited about. They're new songs. It really is classic rock. There's really nothing new on it — it's just a new version of what I like to do, which is loud guitars, man. So, I went in there. I used guys like Kenny Aronoff on drums, Steve Perkins — some really great players. I played all the guitars and did all the singing on it. But I think it's good — I think it's a good fresh approach on classic rock, really."

Asked when fans can expect to see his new record released, Clarke said: "I think May. May is our plan, so hopefully May. I mean, this has been going on for a few years. The deal is done. I hope for May."

Gilby has spent the last few years working on the disc, which will reportedly feature members of Clarke's solo band, EJ Curse (bass/vocals) and Troy Patrick Farrell (drums/vocals).

Source: https://tinyurl.com/yd9zx9qm
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:36 am

Gilby has released a new single, Rock and Roll is Getting Louder:

Read more about it here: https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/former-guns-n-roses-guitarist-gilby-clarke-returns-with-new-single-rock-n-roll-is-getting-louder/
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:09 pm

When Gilby was in Candy:

Gilby Clarke 2022_303
Blackstar
Blackstar