APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2019.06.03 - WAAF FM Boston - Duff McKagan backstage with Mistress Carrie

2 posters

Go down

2019.06.03 - WAAF FM Boston - Duff McKagan backstage with Mistress Carrie  Empty 2019.06.03 - WAAF FM Boston - Duff McKagan backstage with Mistress Carrie

Post by Blackstar Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:57 pm

Last edited by Blackstar on Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:23 pm; edited 3 times in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 88097

Back to top Go down

2019.06.03 - WAAF FM Boston - Duff McKagan backstage with Mistress Carrie  Empty Re: 2019.06.03 - WAAF FM Boston - Duff McKagan backstage with Mistress Carrie

Post by Soulmonster Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:42 pm

Good to finally have some more information on Axl's pre- and post-show vocal exercises. Not that it surprised me, but so many fans claim he doesn't warm-up or care.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76773

Back to top Go down

2019.06.03 - WAAF FM Boston - Duff McKagan backstage with Mistress Carrie  Empty Re: 2019.06.03 - WAAF FM Boston - Duff McKagan backstage with Mistress Carrie

Post by Blackstar Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:18 am

Excerpts from Blabbermouth:
------------------------------------

In a brand new interview with Mistress Carrie of the Worcester/Boston, Massachusetts radio station WAAF, Duff McKagan spoke about how his Guns N' Roses bandmates Axl Rose and Slash inspire him to be a better musician.

"Watching Axl prepare for a show — an hour and a half [of] vocal warmups," Duff said (hear audio below). "And then when he goes onstage and just kind of the thing that comes over him… That guy couldn't phone in a gig… He couldn't do it. He would die first, I think; you would have to shoot him in the head. And then the hour-and-a-half warmdowns. And watching Slash play guitar all day long, and then lose himself when we play the shows. Sometimes he's just gone. When he's [doing] his solo, I have to sometimes actually tap him on the foot, like, 'Dude, come back into the song.' 'Oh, what? Okay.' So that makes me work."

He continued: "I don't know if I'm as talented as those guys, so I feel like I always have to work twice as hard, and I love that. So I go in my basement. And my wife knows — I go to the basement. I'm there for six hours or seven hours. It's just where I go to do my thing. Sometimes she'll come down and I'll play for her, and then she'll go back, but she knows that's the time when I've gotta put in my work, my hours. And I love putting in my hours."

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/duff-mckagan-how-axl-rose-and-slash-inspire-me-to-become-better-musician/
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:42 pm

Another excerpt from Ultimate Guitar:
----------------------------------------------

During a separate conversation with WAAF, Duff remembered how radio stations were initially reluctant to play GN'R material, particularly "Welcome to the Jungle," saying (transcribed by UG):

"Rock radio then... it was not that, it wasn't real stories of dirt, you know. Real, like, dirt underneath your fingernails, and cockroaches crawling on you.

"That's what 'Appetite' exposed - real-life things of people our age. So, your station [WAAF], you guys played 'Jungle,' you guys started playing it, and it spread.

"So I remember when we came to Boston, there was a bunch of people at the show, like, 'They're playing you on the radio station there.' I guess that brings people to the show, and it spread down to New York, they didn't want to be second - but they were - so they started playing, so it spread."

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/duff_mckagan_says_reuniting_classic_gnr_was_impossible.html
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down