APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

Take care of your Band Brother or support your Fans? :/

3 posters

Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Take care of your Band Brother or support your Fans? :/ Empty Re: Take care of your Band Brother or support your Fans? :/

Post by Soulmonster Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:32 am

It wasn't about taking care of Axl, they simply had no choice. Their singer and frontman had left. In the 80s they could have continued with Izzy and Duff trading vocals, but not in the 90s with tens of thousands of fans having paid for a proper Guns N' Roses show. So they left the stage, not to stand by their singer, but because they had no other choice. I can guarantee you, there was little support for Axl backstage that night, and why should there have been? Axl had stopped another concert because we was pissy about a minor thing, risking a riot and the health of not only the band but all the audience, too, because of his anger issues and petulancy.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76773

Uli and ludurigan like this post

Back to top Go down

Take care of your Band Brother or support your Fans? :/ Empty Re: Take care of your Band Brother or support your Fans? :/

Post by Soulmonster Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:10 pm

Karice wrote:I wonder why Axl was allowed to walk off stage and leave in  the first place. A Manager or at least one of the Gun Brothers should have grabbed his Hot headed ass and make him stay and finish the set.... 🧐🤔🤨

Physically trying to restrain him from leaving? Well, Axl would likely not peacefully comply and it would hell afterwards.

There was actually a show where the promoter prevented Axl from leaving. That worked because Axl had no other options and it became between him and the promoter, not him and his band mates.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:44 pm

Karice wrote:
Soulmonster wrote:

Karice wrote:I wonder why Axl was allowed to walk off stage and leave in  the first place. A Manager or at least one of the Gun Brothers should have grabbed his Hot headed ass and make him stay and finish the set.... 🧐🤔🤨

Physically trying to restrain him from leaving? Well, Axl would likely not peacefully comply and it would hell afterwards.

There was actually a show where the promoter prevented Axl from leaving. That worked because Axl had no other options and it became between him and the promoter, not him and his band mates.

Maybe not a Manager to grab Axl physically, but at least one of his Gun Brothers could have physically grabbed Axl to stop him from leaving. He definitely would have been more respectful and nicer to a Gun Brother grabbing him than a Manager if you get my drift. 😉

There hasn't really at any time been a band member of Axl who has physically stood up to him when he's been a prick. Matt probably came the closest.

Perhaps because they knew it wouldn't work and would just do more damage. Perhaps because they were cowards.

I think that if any had tried to physically restrain him, things would just get worse. I simply don't think that's the right way to handle a person with Axl's personality. It must be dealt with when he is calm and more receptive, not when he is having an anger outburst.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Uli Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:12 pm

Soulmonster wrote:

Maybe it's the same show I read about (years ago), a German promoter told this story of how he had the doors backstage closed, so Axl couldn't leave. Thus Axl returned to the stage with anger in his guts and delivered "the goods". Afterwards he told the promoter how great the show was... XD
Uli
Uli

Plectra : 9484

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:31 pm

Uli wrote:
Soulmonster wrote:

Maybe it's the same show I read about (years ago), a German promoter told this story of how he had the doors backstage closed, so Axl couldn't leave. Thus Axl returned to the stage with anger in his guts and delivered "the goods". Afterwards he told the promoter how great the show was... XD

That's the one.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Uli likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Uli Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:08 am

Karice wrote:Luckily, Axl decided to put on a great Show.  😀

I guess the anger fueled him! It helped him to vent, screaming out those songs. Crazy
Uli
Uli

Back to top Go down

Post by Uli Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:33 pm

Karice wrote:
Can you imagine if Axl went the opposite way and just sat on a chair staring at the Audience with this looking face

Yeah well, years ago I read about a show ('93?), where he sat on stage and was not willing to move much (maybe due to flying objects out of the audience)... Mini shock
Uli
Uli

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:53 pm

The concern back then was what would happen if the audiences rioted. There was a real fear that a riot could lead to tremendous damages and injuries. A promoter couldn't risk that, and Axl didn't want to risk that after St. Louis. So band members would argue with Axl to return to stage, promoters would prevent Axl from leaving and beg or coerce him to go back on stage, and Axl himself would realize he had to return on stage when he had calmed down. They couldn't risk another St Louis. That being said, they came close on a few occasions.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Uli likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Uli Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:12 pm

Well I just happened to stumble upon this, an interview apparently done in late January 1992, back then Axl said this about St Louis:

Well, I think that the way the media covered it made me look completely responsible for it. I don’t think I was the last straw. I think that the people who decided to start throwing stuff were the last straw. We have a big problem with the people that were at that concert. We gave them a ninety-minute show. We gave them what we were contracted to do, and we gave it good. They wanted more, and they felt that they could just have it, regardless of what happened to us or how we felt about it. When we say, “Fuck St. Louis,” we’re talking about the people that tore up the place. They know who they are –– we’re not talking about anybody else. Whether I jumped off the stage for a camera or not, that’s not a good enough reason to tear the place down. It was announced that we would come back onstage, and they were more into the riot than even the band playing.
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/axl-rose-the-rolling-stone-interview-99204/
Uli
Uli

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down