APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

Mention in Q about GnR recording in 1989

3 posters

Go down

Mention in Q about GnR recording in 1989 Empty Mention in Q about GnR recording in 1989

Post by Surge Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:04 pm

Stumbled upon a small mention in Q in November 2018 entitled "The Beastie Boys Chronicles":

"The difficult second album, personified
Post-Licensed To Ill, the Beasties almost imploded. Yauch quit Def
Jam, Diamond started playing in another band and Horovitz’s mother
died. He moved to LA. “We were in a parallel universe,” recalls
Diamond. “We were sick of what we’d become. Thank god we got a
break. That could’ve been permanent.” Simmons threatened to freeze
their earnings if they didn’t make another record. “It forced us to
come back together and say, ‘Fuck you!’ All we had was each other.

Horovitz was the motivator. He looks at Diamond. “How d’you feel
about that, Mike?” Diamond whines: “We had to get out of New York.
Our friends were assholes, we were assholes.” In LA, they signed with
Capitol. “We did every cliché, spent money we didn’t have on studios
and cars, nothing sustainable.” They set up at the Record Plant,
“working” adjacent to Guns N’ Roses and spent the weekends at glitzy
parties, brushing shoulders with Bob Dylan and Dolly Parton.

Now Paul's Boutique, their second album, was released on July 25, 1989. The record was recorded at the Record Plant, and their third was not done there, so it adds up.

I'm more into the story of Appetite than Illusions, but this would indicate GnR were at the Record Plant spring 1989. That's earlier than I thought would be the case... Just thought I'd leave it here as it might help with dating certain things.
Surge
Surge

Plectra : 1997

Back to top Go down

Mention in Q about GnR recording in 1989 Empty Re: Mention in Q about GnR recording in 1989

Post by Soulmonster Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:25 am

Surge wrote:Stumbled upon a small mention in Q in November 2018 entitled "The Beastie Boys Chronicles":

"The difficult second album, personified
Post-Licensed To Ill, the Beasties almost imploded. Yauch quit Def
Jam, Diamond started playing in another band and Horovitz’s mother
died. He moved to LA. “We were in a parallel universe,” recalls
Diamond. “We were sick of what we’d become. Thank god we got a
break. That could’ve been permanent.” Simmons threatened to freeze
their earnings if they didn’t make another record. “It forced us to
come back together and say, ‘Fuck you!’ All we had was each other.

Horovitz was the motivator. He looks at Diamond. “How d’you feel
about that, Mike?” Diamond whines: “We had to get out of New York.
Our friends were assholes, we were assholes.” In LA, they signed with
Capitol. “We did every cliché, spent money we didn’t have on studios
and cars, nothing sustainable.” They set up at the Record Plant,
“working” adjacent to Guns N’ Roses and spent the weekends at glitzy
parties, brushing shoulders with Bob Dylan and Dolly Parton.

Now Paul's Boutique, their second album, was released on July 25, 1989. The record was recorded at the Record Plant, and their third was not done there, so it adds up.

I'm more into the story of Appetite than Illusions, but this would indicate GnR were at the Record Plant spring 1989. That's earlier than I thought would be the case... Just thought I'd leave it here as it might help with dating certain things.

Thanks! There are other quotes too that indicate they had the studio booked in the spring of 1989 and did some recording. I have added your reference here: https://www.a-4-d.com/t4046p120-the-history-in-their-own-words#15959
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76773

Back to top Go down

Mention in Q about GnR recording in 1989 Empty Re: Mention in Q about GnR recording in 1989

Post by ludurigan Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:11 am

Yes, there is an Izzy interview where he plainly says that they "recorded those albums three times" or something to that effect.

They must have done SOME or A LOT of recording of Illusion songs in 1989 and 1990 before Steven left.

Then they tried some drummers -- which is also something that no one talks much about -- and I am pretty sure they must have played the new songs with whatever drummer they were trying...
ludurigan
ludurigan

Plectra : 5504

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:30 am

Yes, I am sure they recorded the trials with Maples and Chambers, at the vest least to be able to send tapes to Axl so he could take a listen. Or maybe Axl left it entirely up to Duff and Slash to make that decision?

Here's the chapter on the replacement drummers: https://www.a-4-d.com/t4989-11-1990-moving-forward-with-a-new-lineup#19370
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76773

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:40 am

wow very interesting! i had never read so much about the replacement drummers, i didnt know all this info was available with (mostly) axl and also duff and slash openly talking about them and saying their names on interviews! this site is PRICELESS
ludurigan
ludurigan

Plectra : 5504

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down