APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

What really happened in 2005/2006?

2 posters

Go down

What really happened in 2005/2006? Empty What really happened in 2005/2006?

Post by Soulmonster Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:42 am

Slash had been pretty harsh towards Axl in 2002-2004, while Velvet Revolver was becoming a thing and having success, but in late 2005 Slash seems to have changed his tune and became more friendly, suggesting the feud between them was created by others and wishing Axl good luck with Chinese Democracy. This was around when Velvet Revolver was struggling, having cut their recent tour short. Slash visited Axl's house in October 2005, allegedly badmouthing his band mates in Velvet. In early 2006, Slash also said Chinese Democracy would come out in March 2006, saying he had some insider source in GN'R's camp. At the same time, Ross Haflin, a friend of Slash, said the original Guns would reunite for summer shows. Axl, on his side, would refer to loving Slash and also be gracious towards him.

Then, in March 2006, Axl counter-sued Slash and Duff (they had sued Axl in 2004), and in an associated press release claimed Slash had badmouthed his band mates in Velvet when he came to Axl's house in October 2005, and had suggested Axl was "the stronger" of the two.

The most obvious interpretation is that Axl and Slash were indeed in discussions over reuniting, and had plans for at least one show in the summer of 2006, but that this, for some reason, fell apart. Perhaps Axl demanded some concessions from Slash? An apology? More rights over GN'R music? More control over GN'R legacy? Regardless of why things fell apart, Axl's reaction was fierce.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76773

Millions likes this post

Back to top Go down

What really happened in 2005/2006? Empty Re: What really happened in 2005/2006?

Post by Blackstar Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:16 am

This is one of the biggest mysteries in the band's history.

The planned release of the second Greatest Hits (or "Best Of") album(s) is most likely part of the equation, too. Plus the fact that Buckethead hadn't been replaced seemingly until just a little before the 2006 tour started - although there might have been other reasons for that, for example that Axl still hoped to have Buckethead back or that he was undecided as to whether he should continue with a three guitar lineup.

It seems there were negotiations between the camps to settle the lawsuits and maybe the reunion was part of those discussions. But obviously something went wrong along the way. One of the rumours is that Axl demanded too much. Another is that third parties got in the way.

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 88097

Millions likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:51 am

Something must have happened for Axl to feel insulted, i.e. Slash must have been the one that demanded too much or something to that effect. After all, it was Axl who lashed out in March 2006.

I feel pretty confident there were discussions between the camps, probably to settle the ongoing lawsuits (both the one from 2004 and the one from 2005), which included at the very least Slash returning for one or more shows in the summer of '06. Maybe the label would be scrap the new greatest hits album if they got some of the proceeds and Axl promised to have the album out by the year. From Axl's perspective this must have been tempting, he would get the lawsuits out of the way, get the label backing the release of CD, earn money from the shows with Slash back in the fold. From Slash's perspective it must have been tempting to get the lawsuits out of the way (and possible a settlement that regained him some more control over the music and possible revenues), as an escape from quarreling VR, and to earn some money.

But it is a tricky deal with many components, so in a sense it isn't so strange it fell apart. Many compromises needed to have been made from various parties. The question is then of course, what could they not agree on, and what fuelled the tempers again?

I see now that I basically say the same thing as you did Smile
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Blackstar and Millions like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:59 am

Another question is, was Duff's camp involved in the negotiations, or it was just or mainly between Slash and Axl? It seems that Duff's lawyer was more hard-line in regards to the lawsuits.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:41 pm

Blackstar wrote:Another question is, was Duff's camp involved in the negotiations, or it was just or mainly between Slash and Axl? It seems that Duff's lawyer was more hard-line in regards to the lawsuits.

Seems to me Slash was trying to get back in Guns N' Roses. His trip to Malibu was a solo stunt and he threw Duff under the bus. Slash had also been more friendly towards Axl leading up to it, and immediately afterwards. I haven't discerned a similar change in attitude in Duff, which would have suggested he was also trying to ingratiate himself with Axl.

But of course, getting Duff involved in the reunion could have been brought up onto the table as Axl and Slash's camp discussed.

Another thing that baffles me a bit is that the reunion rumours didn't die down with Axl's press release. Like, Rolling Stone talked about a possible reunion in late March. To me it seems obvious that Axl was in absolutely no mood for a reunion with Slash when he got his lawyer to send out that statement. I can understand the rumours would be flying prior to the press release, especially in hindsight when we know of Slash's trip, but that press release should have put it dead and 6 feet under.

Last edited by Soulmonster on Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:46 pm

In regards to the last point, an explanation could be that people like Lars Ulrich, for example, were not necessarily informed about the most recent developments. Maybe they were just too busy to follow the news.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:50 pm

Blackstar wrote:In regards to the last point, an explanation could be that people like Lars Ulrich, for example, were not necessarily informed about the most recent developments.

The HOF party happened 7 days after Axl's press release. I find it implausible that other musicians, especially friends of the band, would not be aware of it, either through word-of-mouth or from the media. But of course, trusting Rolling Stone, they did indeed speculate on Guns reuniting at the HOF party so I suppose the proof is in the pudding. Unless, of course, they knew more than we do, and considered Axl's harsh words parts of the negotiation strategy or something.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down