APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

Is it a siren or is it Axl wailing? ????

4 posters

Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Is it a siren or is it Axl wailing? ???? Empty Re: Is it a siren or is it Axl wailing? ????

Post by Soulmonster Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:10 am

That's Axl Smile

You can see him do a version of it here:

Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76773

Karice likes this post

Back to top Go down

Is it a siren or is it Axl wailing? ???? Empty Re: Is it a siren or is it Axl wailing? ????

Post by Soulmonster Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:14 am

It has become more like a regular scream now than that suppressed growl. Here is a great example from "modern" days:

Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Uli likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:40 am

In the video, the first person approaching Axl is a guy selling drugs. The idea was of course to portray naive country boy Axl coming to dangerous Los Angeles. Fun fact, the dealer is played by Izzy who was, actually selling drugs in LA at the time.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

ludurigan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:01 pm

Karice wrote:
Soulmonster wrote:In the video, the first person approaching Axl is a guy selling drugs. The idea was of course to portray naive country boy Axl coming to dangerous Los Angeles. Fun fact, the dealer is played by Izzy who was, actually selling drugs in LA at the time.

Okay, I now get why Axl looks dazed and confused in the opening of Welcome To The Jungle video. 😏😀 He kind of looks lost like,"I have no idea what I'm doing." Thanks for the explanation. Hmm. Now that you mention it, in a live video of Welcome To The Jungle, Axl said he was like 22 and wondering aimlessly around LA with like 22 dollars on him with a couple of Friends who also had about 22 dollars on them and some random guy looked at these 22 year old kids who each only had about 22 them and told them,"You know where you are? You're in the Jungle. You're gonna die!" And Axl said this random guy's "Jungle," quote to him and his Friends was how he came up with,"Welcome To The Jungle." 😀

Another tell-tale is the straw in his mouth Very Happy

The story about the guy who said he was going to die actually happened in Chicago, if I remember correctly. Axl travelled a bit around before he settled in Hollywood.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

ludurigan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:19 pm

They held various job and hustled for money, and had friends who helped them out. I wouldn't be surprised if they had some support from home, although that is not something they have talked about. Steven and Slash came from Hollywood and could always go home for food if needed. Axl was perhaps the one that struggled the most and was homeless for a period.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Uli Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:27 am

Karice wrote: Surely just adding an actual Siren would have been easier on Axl's vocals and probably would have been easier all around.... :/

Making it easier wasn't the goal here - I'm sure Axl wanted to show off his vocal range and what he can do, incl. imitating a siren! Cool
Uli
Uli

Plectra : 9484

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:16 pm

Karice wrote:I wonder just WHY didn't they just go with an actual Siren rather than have Axl wail like a Siren? :/ Surely just adding an actual Siren would have been easier on Axl's vocals and probably would have been easier all around.... :/

funny fact i been listening to that song for ages and I never thought that axl was trying to do a siren sound there but maybe that is what it was

axl does that type of "extended vocals" (and lots of "ay-ays" "hey-heys") in a few other songs and it is just SO FANTASTIC and adds so much life and drama to the songs

he usually creates a "crescendo" thing with those type of vocals it is just so good

one of my favorite takes on the Welcome to the Jungle extended "siren" vocal is from the first night of Rock in Rio 1991. It is around 23m20s:

At the beginning of "My way, Your Way", which is an early version of the song "Anything Goes", Axl does a similar version of the Jungle "siren"

I don't know any other singer who does that kind "crescendo" scream so much and so well in the songs

It adds so much like I said before. It fits perfectly with what the others are doing. It is just brilliant.

Maybe Layne Staley from Alice in Chains did a little bit of that, specially in the "ay-ays" parts. For what I read about Alice in Chains, I think it is safe to say that he was influenced by Axl

ludurigan
ludurigan

Plectra : 5504

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:43 pm

Karice wrote:Hmm. A Guns N'Roses Fan on YouTube said something like,"Music Producer. "We need a Siren noise for Welcome To The Jungle but we don't have any sirens." Axl. "I can screech and wail like a Siren!" 🤣

i really don't think that was a music producer idea

like i told you, axl was doing this sort of thing YEARS before guns n roses even existed, when he was just starting out with izzy and chris weber and doing demos for little money, years before they could afford a producer
ludurigan
ludurigan

Plectra : 5504

Uli likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Uli Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:00 am

Karice wrote: is the whistle sound at about 1:22 of Paradise City an actual whistle... ?

Yes, it's a whistle. At concerts he used to throw the whistle into the crowd after he used it...
Uli
Uli

Plectra : 9484

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum