APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

Slash jams with Dorothy. Dorothy conquers darkness with light, numbness with feeling, disharmony with unity

2 posters

Go down

Slash jams with Dorothy. Dorothy conquers darkness with light, numbness with feeling, disharmony with unity Empty Slash jams with Dorothy. Dorothy conquers darkness with light, numbness with feeling, disharmony with unity

Post by ludurigan Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:04 am

Slash jams with Dorothy. Dorothy conquers darkness with light, numbness with feeling, disharmony with unity 339103854_529080296070904_4744499292595602863_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=0debeb&_nc_eui2=AeEbCmWv-f4L9MkoWjaVV-qVsn59cRljS22yfn1xGWNLbaPH8hVGgEA90KYQTlZyl8b4-eioZ7ZdisTCj3wdsSTU&_nc_ohc=ogskwRmYf7MAX8q94Vv&_nc_ht=scontent.fssz4-1

Guitar World most read story on April 6, 2023 is a story titled Slash gets his Jimmy Page on in fiery onstage guest spot with hard-rockers Dorothy

For whatever reason I thought that Slash was jamming on a Led Zeppelin song with "Dorothy"

Turns out the song is not by Led Zeppelin. It is a "Dorothy" original.

Wow. Pretty cool. How refreshing that a band has written an original song instead of playing whatever Zeppelin standard for the umpteenth time!

There are several videos of the live jam on youtube

Yep, the song is very Zeppelin-esque indeed

Here is the studio version of it

On the live jam, Slash seems to be very, very familiar with the song

I wonder if had any hand on writing it?

This is Slash with Dorothy:

Slash jams with Dorothy. Dorothy conquers darkness with light, numbness with feeling, disharmony with unity 338931836_3404898163055302_8043448407433207384_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=0debeb&_nc_eui2=AeGoOf4bYC-glal_hSMxjAr1KENQVemZMb4oQ1BV6ZkxvmrEUkHLGaQvsIg7ZYrdx61ziEctJtBfJXU6S3W1EMf7&_nc_ohc=kD68MRGfzG0AX_RF5D0&_nc_ht=scontent.fssz4-1

The studio version of the song is 4m20s

The "Slash live version" is 6-plus minutes.

That's because Dorothy has added a full "ok-boys-let's-play-that-chord-sequence-for-Slash" section for Slash to solo over .

And that's what Slash does.

After watching the live video, I would say that Slash does that with a bit of gusto

Yeah, I know

The "Slash-solo-section"

Predictable, yeah.

But nice nonetheless

It is always better to have a Slash solo section than NOT to have it

Right?

Right?

Oh I am actually not THAT sure about that.

Anyway

The fact that this is an original song and that Slash is (or seems to be) very familiar with it has sort of intrigued me

So I did what some --or many -- of us do when we are intrigued by whatever in 2023

I googled "Dorothy"

And

I

found

this:

Gifts From The Holy Ghost is made from a musical palette which seems to encompass each of the musician’s influences, as well as many of the essential sounds of rock music’s history—from swampy blues to ‘90s alternative —in a way that makes the case for rock and roll itself. Not only is the genre alive, but it’s more invigorated than ever.

The album’s lyrics are a perfect balance of specificity and generality, so that the listener can attach their own darknesses and triumphs to the songs, while still getting a sense of Dorothy’s own. “We are all one human family.” she declares.

With Gifts From The Holy Ghost, Dorothy identifies her purpose as an artist. She conquers darkness with light, numbness with feeling, disharmony with unity—all while delivering one of this year’s most fun rock & roll records.

Oh fuck.

I am so glad -- no, I am actually so, so, so very much fucking glad -- that Guns n' Roses has never, ever had to write -- or were smart enough to never fucking write -- a press release like that.

"The album’s lyrics are a perfect balance of specificity and generality"

"so that the listener can attach their own darknesses and triumphs to the songs"

"She conquers darkness with light, numbness with feeling, disharmony with unity"

Are you fucking kidding me?

And then, of course, Google tells me that Forbes says that L.A. Band Dorothy And Their Lead Singer Are Poised To Be Rock Stars

That was in 2018

Now let me go back to what I was doing

I was actually having a mighty fine good time waiting for new Izzy Stradlin music, drinking some cheap wine (tomorrow is a holiday, I am allowed to do that) and listening to Hanoi Rocks and Andy McCoy and Tung Tung (just google India goes metal)

Slash jams with Dorothy. Dorothy conquers darkness with light, numbness with feeling, disharmony with unity Andy2
ludurigan
ludurigan

Plectra : 5504

Back to top Go down

Slash jams with Dorothy. Dorothy conquers darkness with light, numbness with feeling, disharmony with unity Empty Re: Slash jams with Dorothy. Dorothy conquers darkness with light, numbness with feeling, disharmony with unity

Post by Soulmonster Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:28 am

McCoy looks...haggard.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76773

ludurigan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Slash jams with Dorothy. Dorothy conquers darkness with light, numbness with feeling, disharmony with unity Empty Re: Slash jams with Dorothy. Dorothy conquers darkness with light, numbness with feeling, disharmony with unity

Post by ludurigan Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:11 pm

Soulmonster wrote:McCoy looks...haggard.

I had to look up "haggard" on google cause I didn't know the word and yeah, I think you are exactly right.
ludurigan
ludurigan

Plectra : 5504

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down