APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2019.04.17 - Sirius XM's Debatable - Interview with Duff

Go down

2019.04.17 - Sirius XM's Debatable - Interview with Duff Empty 2019.04.17 - Sirius XM's Debatable - Interview with Duff

Post by Blackstar Fri 19 Apr 2019 - 11:54

Last edited by Blackstar on Sun 28 Apr 2024 - 22:24; edited 1 time in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87782

Back to top Go down

2019.04.17 - Sirius XM's Debatable - Interview with Duff Empty Re: 2019.04.17 - Sirius XM's Debatable - Interview with Duff

Post by Blackstar Sat 2 Mar 2024 - 5:52

Excerpts from Blabbermouth:
-------------------------------------------

Duff McKagan says that musicians and athletes should have the right to speak out on political or social issues, adding that they are perfectly justified in using their platform to voice their opinions on things they feel passionate about.

The Guns N' Roses bassist made his comments while speaking to SiriusXM's "Debatable" about the inspiration for some of the lyrics on his upcoming solo album, "Tenderness", which is due at the end of next month.

Duff said: "When I was in the Twittersphere, [NBA superstar] LeBron [James] came out and said something [that was of a political nature]. He's a smart guy and he's an activist and he does stuff with his money and he's an American citizen. And it is 'we the people' — last I checked. And him saying, him voicing his opinion is what we're supposed to do, I thought. And I saw [some people responding to him on social media and telling him to] 'shut up and play basketball.' And I was, like, 'Oh, wow! Where have we gone?'"

McKagan, who calls himself "an armchair historian," continued: "The first newspapers that we had in America, it was in the Northeast. The printing press, they could print, like, six newspapers per town. This is 1620, let's say. And the back page was blank. They would have the articles, and then 'John Smith' could write his commentary on whatever article. He'd put his commentary, his address, his name and he passed it around. The next person would either comment to 'John Smith'… But you had to put your name and your address. This is before America was even born. But this is what we were trying to form a country around — everybody having a voice. And somewhere along the way… Yeah, 'shut up and sing,' 'shut up and play basketball,' and even saying 'shut up'… This is America. Speak out."

https://blabbermouth.net/news/duff-mckagan-says-musicians-and-athletes-have-right-to-speak-out-on-issues-they-are-passionate-about
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

2019.04.17 - Sirius XM's Debatable - Interview with Duff Empty Re: 2019.04.17 - Sirius XM's Debatable - Interview with Duff

Post by Blackstar Sat 2 Mar 2024 - 5:56

A similar article with quotes from the interview was published on the website of the KSHE 95 St. Louis radio station with the headline "Guns N’ Roses’ Duff McKagan says artists have right to speak on issues":

https://web.archive.org/web/20190419143507/https://www.kshe95.com/real-rock-news/guns-n-roses-duff-mckagan-says-artists-have-right-to-speak-on-issues/

And Duff commented on twitter:

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down