APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

How much Rolling Stones influence can you pick on Guns n' Roses songs

4 posters

Go down

How much Rolling Stones influence can you pick on Guns n' Roses songs Empty How much Rolling Stones influence can you pick on Guns n' Roses songs

Post by ludurigan Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:32 pm

How much Rolling Stones influence can you pick on Guns n' Roses songs 3768e010

Every time I listen to the Stones I pick something that I have heard somewhere on a Guns n' Roses song

Specially on the ones written by Izzy

"I Used to Love Her (But I Had to Kill Her)" seems to be a clear "twist" on "I Used to Love Her (But It is All Over Now)" by the Stones. And it has a chord progression that is nearly identical to "Dead Flowers"!

There is a Stones song called "Pretty Beat Up" and I can't help but think that Izzy had that song title in his mind (consciously or not) when he wrote "Pretty Tied Up"

The line "You Could Be Mine" appears on "Emotional Rescue"

There is more...

Have you guys noticed that?

How much Rolling Stones influence can you pick on Guns n' Roses songs Rollin10
ludurigan
ludurigan

Plectra : 5504

Uli likes this post

Back to top Go down

How much Rolling Stones influence can you pick on Guns n' Roses songs Empty Re: How much Rolling Stones influence can you pick on Guns n' Roses songs

Post by Soulmonster Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:36 am

Good question but since I don't listen ro RS I can't really provide any valuable input Smile
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76773

Back to top Go down

How much Rolling Stones influence can you pick on Guns n' Roses songs Empty Re: How much Rolling Stones influence can you pick on Guns n' Roses songs

Post by Uli Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:54 pm

I'm sure there's some influence by the Stones (especially on Izzy).  Cool

It was Paul Buckmaster who did the string arrangements on some Stones tracks (on "Sticky Fingers") and guess who Axl had arranging some stuff on Chinese Democracy?  Surprised

Talkin' of the Rolling Stones, there's a new release of an old concert (1989) coming up and it features a guest appearance by both Axl & Izzy:
Track 11
Salt Of The Earth (featuring Axl Rose & Izzy Stradlin)
https://rollingstones.bravado.de/p51-i0602508741913/the-rolling-stones/steel-wheels-live-bd50-sd-blu-ray-/index.html
Uli
Uli

Plectra : 9484

Blackstar likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilco Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:02 pm

I'd say you can hear it in a lot of their material, but mostly on the post AFD stuff.
Used to Love Her is similar to Dead Flowers

You Ain't the First is very similar to any country song the Stones did - Dear Doctor, Sweet Virginia

Bad Apples has the groove of a mid 70s Stones song

Dust N' Bones could easily be a Keith Richards solo song, also has a very Ronnie Wood feel to the solo etc

Pretty Tied Up has the Stones influence with the use of the sitar and the sexual imagery and has sort of a similarity with the song Street Fightin' Man

Etc
Wilco
Wilco

Plectra : 1453

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down