APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

Axl and Gene Simmons

4 posters

Go down

Axl and Gene Simmons Empty Axl and Gene Simmons

Post by Soulmonster Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:11 am

Gene Simmons talked about Guns N' Roses and Axl in 2011:

You get to sleep in the bed you make. It's simple. If you're lucky enough to be accepted on stage by the audience, if you're lucky enough to be able to write a song, if you're lucky enough to have charisma on stage, that's the beginning. And then you've got to be able to deliver night after night after night. And not everybody is designed to run a marathon. Because to be a rock star for decades means you're running a marathon. Guns N' Roses could have been the best band in the world, and the reason they're not is because of Axl Rose. I mean, the drugs, the heroin, the alcohol and all that. But ultimately, it falls on Axl's shoulders.
Music-News.com (via Blabbermouth), November 11, 2011

And when asked what Axl could have done to change that path:

A good beating would have helped. I mean, when you misbehaved as a little kid and continued to do it, there was somebody there to give you a what for. Then when you become a grown-up, who's there to set you straight?
Music-News.com (via Blabbermouth), November 11, 2011

Simmons had previously attacked Axl when discussing the duties of a live performer:

I don't care if you're Axl Rose, forgot to tie your shoelaces or your father molested you when you were three -- you're a bitch if you don't show up onstage when it says 9 o'clock.
Billboard, November 20, 2008

I checked my records to see if there was some background to this animosity and found a quote from Axl from a party in 1990 when the interviewer mentioned that Simmons was also attending the party:

Yeah, well, we don’t get along so well.

Anyone know what why these two didn't get along so well? Simmons being angry with the band because they scoffed Paul Stanley back in 1986? Simmons being angry with Axl because they made fun of Simmons at the Eddie Trunk show in 2006?
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76773

Back to top Go down

Axl and Gene Simmons Empty Re: Axl and Gene Simmons

Post by Soulmonster Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:40 am

Just a few minutes after making this post a new member called "Criss" registered on the forum Noonomonomo
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76773

ludurigan likes this post

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Blackstar Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:47 pm

Soulmonster wrote:Anyone know what why these two didn't get along so well? Simmons being angry with the band because they scoffed Paul Stanley back in 1986? Simmons being angry with Axl because they made fun of Simmons at the Eddie Trunk show in 2006?

I don't know, maybe it's just part of Gene Simmons' shtick.

Axl and Beta attended a KISS show with Doc McGee on June 18, 2010 (Amsterdam). I think Beta is a KISS fan.

Axl and Beta with Gene Simmons. I think the picture was posted on twitter by his daughter, Sophie Simmons.

Axl and Gene Simmons Tumblr16

Looking for the picture, I found out that Gene Simmons (or rather his daughter) had a dog named Axl  Very Happy

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 88097

Soulmonster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:59 pm

But Gene Simmons talked about Axl again in 2017 (Goldmine Magazine, Feb. 8):

GM: Paul (Stanley) was quite hard on you in his book. He’s spoken about how today your relationship is better than it’s been in a long time, why?

GS: You have to figure out that the person next to you isn’t you. So sometimes you don’t’ understand why I might have a different appetite than him. I make no excuses for having a record company and now a film company. Our first film was just finished and it stars Anne Heche, Wesley Snipes; it’s a good movie and I’ll be doling lots of them. I wanted to act and produce records and have a record company because I’m unapologetically insatiable. If I have an appetite for something I want it! But it is true, as other things take more time you don’t’ do your other stuff in KISS as well. So we do have a better relationship today because you live and you learn. You understand that despite it all we both share a great work ethic, we show up on time and do the work and we never “Axl Rose” our way out of anything. I think the same way a “Kardashian” became a 72-day long time reference, I think Axl deserves that thing that could become a verb, “Don’t Axl your way out of this thing.” I think that’s appropriate.

https://www.goldminemag.com/articles/gene-simmons-keeps-kiss-klassic
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 88097

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:36 pm

I remember reading (and posting about) a Gene Simmons interview where he says that the Welcome to the Jungle intro (the instrumental part before the verse with vocals kicks in) is "like a symphony"

I believe Gene is right.

He is just recognizing greatness.

How many song intros are there that can you say that about?

(on a side note I also remember Alice Cooper saying that he wished he had written that same song, probably not because of the intro hahahaha)

Despite what Axl said about "getting along" I don't think that "getting along" is the point here

Specially because Axl and Gene have completely separated lives --- it is not like they are in the same band or have to work together in any capacity

I think what we have here is very simple.

Gene Simmons is YET another person who is pointing at two things:

Guns n' Roses is the biggest "wasted potential" story in today's music business.

His words: "Guns N' Roses could have been the best band in the world"

How many bands can you say that about, really?

I don't think that there was ever a band that had so many talented people and that did so fucking little with it.

Guns n' Roses "songwriting department" is just mind-blowing

One of the guys is an absolutely extra-class, genius and prolific-as-fuck songwriter

Then they have yet another great, sometimes brilliant songwriter. Being prolific is not his thing but hey, no one is perfect

Them they have yet another writer who is not really that good as a "songwriter" per se, at "putting songs together" but who happens to be great at coming up with song parts (riffs, licks etc) and song flourishes (solos). And who is also prolific-as-fuck -- these ideas just appear to keep coming and coming no matter if he is drunk, stoned or sober.

And they have yet a fourth (!) songwriter who is pretty capable, sometimes good, sometimes even very good (it's so easy), and who seems to be a team player, a good arranger etc

How many bands have that?

I could go "on and on" about the musicianship of the five members (4 of them are absolutely extra-class on that "department")

I could go "on and on" about how the band has a one-in-a-million performer, and four pretty good ones that don't look bad at all by his side

I could go on and on about how this particular performer is able to express emotions in his music in a way that maybe no one ever did in the music business;

What Gene says -- that they had potential to be the biggest band in the world -- is just all of that abnove in one simple sentence

If only they kept together writing songs, recording them, releasing them etc

So this is point A.

And point B is that Axl Rose really seems to be the main cause/reason that this band just fucking imploded

His erratic, blind, nonsensical, I-am-the-only-one-with-problems, things-are-gonna-be-my-way-or-no-way, I-am-the-main-responsible-for-this-band-greatness, spoiled-child behaviour -- enabled by the likes of Doug Goldstein, it MUST be said -- "made everyone miserable" (as Izzy described so well on one of those old interviews), up to the point that no one could just fucking take it and everyone just fucking left one by one!

Did the other guys fucked things up in several occasions? Yeah

But it really seems that was Axl was the one who caused things to go broken in a way that up to this day hasn't really been fixed and probably never will

Gene is just pointing these two things.

AND that brings back to the "we don't get along" comment by Axl

We all know that anyone that points "hard truths" to Axl "gets cut from his inner circle" as so many have said over the years...

So, about "getting along", I wouldn't be surprised if Gene said something Axl didn't like -- or decided that he was not gonna take Axl crap in this or that situation -- and Axl just decided that he and Gene "didn't get along"

===

An addendum

(to make a stronger point)

Why Izzy is not on this (fake) reunion?

Because he doesn't take shit from Axl.

He is the one who stands against the Axl bullshit.

Slash and Duff clearly don't mind compromising things like "the entire notion of being in a functional band" in order to be part of whatever is that they are doing now.

===

See, Guns n' Roses served us the best breakfast ever in the music business.

We just ate that so fast and ate that again and were eagerly waiting for lunch.

Then it took them a few extra hours to bring lunch. And it wasn't as great as we were expecting

There was a bit too much fat on it, some unwanted oil and maybe some unnecessary condiments.

But the recipe was so good and the cooks were so great that it all still tasted really good.

Then they promised us dinner but one of the cooks had left and all they could give us was a frozen pizza.

And they never came back for another day...
ludurigan
ludurigan

Plectra : 5504

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down