APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2016.02.05 - Slash: Raised On The Sunset Strip Documentary

Go down

2016.02.05 - Slash: Raised On The Sunset Strip Documentary Empty 2016.02.05 - Slash: Raised On The Sunset Strip Documentary

Post by Blackstar Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:06 am

Transcript:

It was fine and there was a lot of things going on and there was a lot of music going on and I'd love to come down here with my parents, you know, especially my dad and go to gigs and watch them set up. .Do something very exciting about that moment before the beyond actually walked on, when all the gears just sitting there waiting.

My dad was telling me, yeah, well, you were conceived in Paris.And uh, I guess my mom and him met there and then went to England and I was born in Hampstead, but my family, my British side of my family, lives in Stokes, so I lived there.And grew up there for a little while. I went to school and.And hung out in Stoke and I I think that was the last years of stability I ever had And then moved to Los Angeles with my my dad. My mom was living in LA at the time and and I've been here ever since, you know, at the time, you know 19691970, you know, it was a interracial couple.You could be thinking it was a lot of interesting things going on. I first met Slash in 1976 while I was in the 5th grade. When I first started noticing, special about Slash was his talent for art.And it was, it was pretty exciting and and at that point we were living in Laurel Canyon, so we were like right in the thick.Of that huge sort of bohemian creative scene that was happening there. And my dad was doing album covers for Jackson Browne and Joni Mitchell and a lot of people up there in The Hills. And my mom was doing clothes for all these different entertainers. I mean, I was like, what's Linda Ronstadt when Joey Mitchell were one of them.Then she was also doing like The Pointer Sisters and she was doing Flip Wilson and all these different kind of entertainers. So I was, I was, it was a lot of fun sort of being raised in that chaos. Well, I, II don't remember him as a little kid, even though I do. His dad, Yeah, his dad. I remember his dad and and actually did a lot of our, our, our photography.So that that was kind of a tight knit, you know, bunch of people back there in Hollywood back then. When you look back at the 60s and stuff, a lot of these individuals that I was sort of raised around were really astute, very intelligent.Smart, very cool people and it was a a very inspired.Time, you know? I think that's the best way to put it.Umm, a lot of creativity going on, a lot of just brilliant thinking happening and yeah, I enjoyed that a lot.All these young comedians, I mean, you know, Steve Martin and Albert Brooks.All these guys were kids. They were all writing for The Smothers Brothers show. I lived right next door to Mickey Dolans for the Monkeys. And Frank Zappa lived right Banderas. So all those writers.You know, it was like a pretty tight knit kind of thing. But that's when I first, you know, met his dad and everything like that.My mom.Was doing.Well, his wardrobe for a while there. And then they became sort of a item in that sort of in those days and that Lucy Goosey kind of way. He mentioned that his mom had done some, you know, things for David Bowie and different people like that. So she was in the industry. Soon after that we started writing, fooling around with you.Spikes and instantly he was a star. It took the the bike thing, the BMX thing. It was pretty seriously, but there was a funny dynamic to BMX because we also used to do a lot of freestyle and ride around well all over Los Angeles. We had raised our bikes in the Valley on weekends and.And he'd go off a jump. There'd be flashes going off from everyone because he just had more style. He was a little quicker. He usually won his races. Yeah. And then on the weekends, we would tow over Laurel Canyon into the valley, You know, just grab the size of cars and go over the hill and there be, you know, anytime, anywhere from a half dozen to a dozen of us, all in traffic.Pretty insane. And we ride all the way out to Van Nuys. I guess it was.And compete and you know, they have the weekend races and then we ride all the way back in the middle of the night and come home for Little Canyon again. So part of it was very sort of professional and the other part of it was just simple hellraising. Yeah, I was just skateboarder. He was a BMX bike rider. Well, we met in junior high school.Umm, I had, uh, I was running around in my classroom. I ran in his classroom and his teacher had his finger in his in his face and was telling me he's gonna be losing her bum all his life and that that is that. I realized I I had somebody else that was just like me. I met Steve Adler at the school one day and.He he fell off a skateboard and he looked like he did it pretty bad and nobody was concerned about it. He was just laying flat on his back. So I went over to see if he was OK and he and I struck up a friendship.It's gonna turn down that his mother had kicked him out. He was living at Chatsworth.And his mother kicked him out and he had been relocated to his grandparents in West Hollywood. So that's where why he suddenly turned up and I went over to his place. His grandparents worked in a bakery, so they leave early in the morning. We did school and go hang out at his place he had.Kiss Alive 2 record and he put that on this little piece of shitt stereo that he had and he had a cheap little electric guitar and an amp and he would crank that all the way to entering the Testera Detent and just bang on this thing. And that was exciting. He came over my house for the first time and I put on my.This record and I had a little guitar and I started playing. I was I needed like two cars and one scale and I would just did all my ace freely, you know positions.played a really loud and he loved it and it went from running BMS spikes to guitar that my grandmother had one in the closet at her apartment and she pulled it out and it was a spanish you know acoustic and had one
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87993

Back to top Go down

2016.02.05 - Slash: Raised On The Sunset Strip Documentary Empty Re: 2016.02.05 - Slash: Raised On The Sunset Strip Documentary

Post by Blackstar Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:11 am

Press release (via Blabbermouth) about the release of the documentary, Feb. 4, 2016:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Slash: 'Raised On The Sunset Strip' Documentary To Be Released On DVD, Blu-Ray

On February 5, Universal Music Group will release the 90-minute documentary "Slash: Raised On The Sunset Strip" on Blu-ray and DVD.

One of rock's most iconic figures is profiled like never before in "Slash: Raised On The Sunset Strip", a revealing and insightful film presented by DirecTV and Guitar Center. Combining new and archival footage with personal anecdotes from the legendary musician himself, as well as from many of his influences and colleagues, the documentary paints an intimate portrait of a hard rock hero's past, present and future.

"Slash: Raised On The Sunset Strip" features interviews with: Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters),Joe Perry (Aerosmith), Alice Cooper and Nikki Sixx (Motley Crue),as well as Slash's Guns N' Roses and Velvet Revolver bandmates Duff McKagan and Matt Sorum. Follow Slash's journey from his start on the Sunset Strip to his current album, "World On Fire".

https://blabbermouth.net/news/slash-raised-on-the-sunset-strip-documentary-to-be-released-on-dvd-blu-ray
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87993

Back to top Go down