APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

Album versus slow trickle of singles

2 posters

Go down

Album versus slow trickle of singles Empty Album versus slow trickle of singles

Post by Soulmonster Wed 25 Oct 2023 - 5:55

Here's my thoughts on why we are being slow-fed singles rather than a full album. It is purely speculation from my side, don't take it as anything else.

I think Axl really wanted a full album to follow Chinese Democracy. He has said as much in various interviews over the last couple of decades. It was the original plan. It didn't happen before the pseudo-reunion - and we can only speculate about the various reasons for that - so why are we not getting an album now, then? Slash and Duff have likely worked on sufficient songs to make it happen, and if they haven't, it is reasonable to think they could have.

I think it comes down to two things mainly:

1. To Axl, an album is a definite and substantial statement of art. It isn't just a collection of individual songs, it is a package that combines these songs that have been selected to go with each other to some extent, album art that works with the songs, liner notes, cover art, etc, and it comes with expectations of touring. Axl grew up in the 70s when the album, the vinyl, was a very different thing than it is today, and I think he still looks at it that way. So just having the songs is not sufficient, there's a whole lot more that goes into it, and which requires a huge effort from Axl in terms of making it the way he wants it. And since this is the twin brother to Chinese Democracy in a sense, he can't compromise on the product - it means too much to him. It simply is a huge burden to Axl.

2. A combination of time passing and new players coming in means the songs have lost some of their relevance to Axl and the time we live in. In a sense, nuGNR is dead, the project is over. It wouldn't be the double punch as intended, too much time has passed since Chinese. If it came out now it wouldn't to the same extent be considered the companion to Chinese with each album benefitting from the other, it would be a standalone release judged independently, and most likely judged as "old GN'R" since Slash is back in the fold, in a sense eroding the purpose of the songs or at least the original idea of the album.

So without the motivation or purpose to release the songs as an album, but still being proud of the songs and wanting them to come out, singles will serve. And with nuGNR being dead and the songs not coming out in the intended medium of an album, they can be judged individually as singles. So that's my thoughts on why we are getting singles which might only maybe be compiled into an album later on.

The big question for me is, will they keep releasing singles when the band stops touring? Till this point it seems they have, somewhat halfheartedly, tied the singles to touring to boost sales or interest in the band. Is Axl's eagerness to get the remaining songs out so strong that he will insist on releasing even when the band is off touring, or will he just wait until they are back touring again, even if that is years away? I am sure he really wants the songs to come out, but I am also sure he plays the longevity game and has no problems waiting years for when the time is right again. So that's going to be interesting to see in 2024.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76687

Uli and Blackstar like this post

Back to top Go down

Album versus slow trickle of singles Empty Re: Album versus slow trickle of singles

Post by Uli Wed 8 Nov 2023 - 10:52

Well, I myself see 2 things here: the "new" songs are being performed live, thus nobody can say "oh they're only playing the old stuff!"...

The 2nd one is: by having Slash 'n Duff perform on those "leftovers" from CD era (plus of course them playing some CD songs live), Axl can say: these are "legit" Gn'R songs, it's never been just an Axl "solo project" (as some people claimed).
Uli
Uli

Plectra : 9473

Soulmonster likes this post

Back to top Go down