APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

1988.05.01 - Toledo Sports Arena, Toledo, USA

2 posters

Go down

1988.05.01 - Toledo Sports Arena, Toledo, USA Empty 1988.05.01 - Toledo Sports Arena, Toledo, USA

Post by Soulmonster Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:54 pm

Date:
May 1, 1988.

Venue:
Toledo Sports Arena.

Setlist:
01. It's So Easy
02. Move to the City
03. Mr. Brownstone
04. Out Ta Get Me
05. You're Crazy
06. Sweet Child O'Mine
07. Used to Love Her
08. Rocket Queen
09. Patience
10. Welcome to the Jungle
11. Paradise City

Line-up:
Axl Rose (vocals), Izzy Stradlin (rhythm guitarist), Slash (lead guitarist), Duff McKagan (bass) and Steven Adler (drums).

1988.05.01 - Toledo Sports Arena, Toledo, USA Rightarrow Next concert: 1988.05.03.
1988.05.01 - Toledo Sports Arena, Toledo, USA Leftarrow Previous concert: 1988.04.30.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76580

Back to top Go down

1988.05.01 - Toledo Sports Arena, Toledo, USA Empty Re: 1988.05.01 - Toledo Sports Arena, Toledo, USA

Post by ludurigan Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:53 am

I don't think I had seen this one before!

Nice video!
ludurigan
ludurigan

Plectra : 5450

Soulmonster and Blackstar like this post

Back to top Go down

1988.05.01 - Toledo Sports Arena, Toledo, USA Empty Re: 1988.05.01 - Toledo Sports Arena, Toledo, USA

Post by ludurigan Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:02 pm

Some interesting stuff going on on this show! Very Happy

Crowd Noise 00:00

McBob's Introduction 00:31

*01. IT'S SO EASY* 00:48

Axl talks 04:17 (about Izzy's and Steven's connections to Ohio and how they decided to "Move to The City" )

*02. MOVE TO THE CITY* 05:10

Axl talks 08:37

*03. MR. BROWNSTONE* 09:18

Band plays "background music" for Axl's speech 13:53 (Izzy or Duff start playing an ominous 3-notes "tan-dan-dan" melody that works as a "key" for Axl's "regular" speech before "Out Ta Get Me". Slash joins in adding some "tension" by playing a sustained note on his guitar, and so does Steven, adding some "drama" by punctuating Axl words with some drumming)

Axl talks 14:17 (about having problems with his parents "still trying" to tell him "how to live" as an intro for "Out Ta Get Me")

*04. OUT TA GET ME* 15:57

Axl talks 20:48 (introduces "You're Crazy" and talks briefly about the new EP "GN'R Lies")

*05. YOU'RE CRAZY* 21:44 (They play it "slow" first and then "fast")

Axl Talks 27:34 (Introduces Slash)

*06. SLASH SOLO* 27:46 (Izzy, on the background, waiting for the "Blues Jam" to start, seems to be a bit impatient with Slash's noodling and the solo duration; he even goes as far as reaching to Slash and saying something to him, apparently trying to make him stop noodling and get the "Blues Jam" going!)

*07. BLUES JAM* 30:21

Axl talks 34:51 (about "fucking with the light man schedule", presumably for changing the setlist, and also about the "new video", presumably the one -- or two videos, as he mentions -- for "Sweet Child o' Mine")

*08. SWEET CHILD O' MINE" 36:05

Axl talks 42:13 (introduces "Used to Love Her")

*09. [I] USED TO LOVE HER [BUT I HAD TO KILL HER]* 42:39

Axl talks 46:06 (about someone who apparently complained that there is 'too much time between songs' in a Guns n' Roses show)

*10. ROCKET QUEEN* 47:10 (with a very unusual "Duff Bass Jam" in the middle of the song [49:17] and then the regular "guitar jam" [50:14] which in turn is shorter than usual)

Axl talks 55:03 (introduces "Patience" and says that they can't make up their minds about putting it on the EP that is about to get released ["GN'R Lies"] or saving it for "the next record". That commentary may or may not have distracted some of the guys in the band because...)

*11. PATIENCE* 55:23 (...this is seriously the most fucked-up live version of the song that I can remember listening to, with a big fuck-up mid song that kinda lasts until the end of it. The mess begins when Slash starts soloing in the part where Axl was supposed to sing a verse ["I sit here on the stairs..."]. Axl then "waits" for Slash to finish the "solo" and starts singing the said verse but by then the band (or someone in the band, I can't really tell) is playing another part of the song , so the vocals do not really fit. Axl insists and carries on singing the verses and eventually the band catches on and manages to "follow" him, so after a few very awkward moments everyone is playing the same part of the song again. Ha! That was fun! But wait because it ain't over yet. Steven seems to be a bit lost with the drumming and so does everyone with the playing. After the "Cause I couldn't take it" part the band goes for the "Slash solo" section but everyone seems to play it really sloppy. They carry on playing sloppy into the "Outro" part where mostly Axl (and apparently also Izzy) lead the song in the right "direction". It gets a bit better in the end when Axl sings the "I been walking in the street tonight" part. Pretty funny to listen to and to watch, too bad that there isn't much to see as this video recording is mostly dark for the final part of the song. Maybe the "light guy" decided to hide the mess? Ha!)

Axl talks 1:02:23 (introduces "Welcome to the Jungle" with a joke: he says "D'you know where you are", waits for the crowd to reply, and then says: "Good! Then go home!". Before long he raises his glass and says "I'm joking")

*12. WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE* 1:02:38

Axl talks 1:07:50 (apparently about a curfew to "shut the place down at eleven")

*13. PARADISE CITY* 1:15:18
ludurigan
ludurigan

Plectra : 5450

Soulmonster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down