APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

1988.07.27 - Hilton Coliseum, Ames, USA

3 posters

Go down

1988.07.27 - Hilton Coliseum, Ames, USA Empty 1988.07.27 - Hilton Coliseum, Ames, USA

Post by Soulmonster Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:22 pm

Date:
July 27, 1988.

Venue:
Hilton Coliseum.

Setlist:
XX. Mr. Brownstone
XX. Out Ta Get Me
XX. Patience
XX. Rocket Queen
XX. Welcome To The Jungle
XX. Sweet Child O' Mine
XX. It Tastes Good, Don't It?
Incomplete setlist.

Line-up:
Axl Rose (vocals), Izzy Stradlin (rhythm guitarist), Slash (lead guitarist), Duff McKagan (bass) and Steven Adler (drums).

1988.07.27 - Hilton Coliseum, Ames, USA Rightarrow Next concert: 1988.07.29.
1988.07.27 - Hilton Coliseum, Ames, USA Leftarrow Previous concert: 1988.07.26.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76693

Back to top Go down

1988.07.27 - Hilton Coliseum, Ames, USA Empty Re: 1988.07.27 - Hilton Coliseum, Ames, USA

Post by Blackstar Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:58 am

Review in the Des Moines Register, July 28, 1988:

1988.07.27 - Hilton Coliseum, Ames, USA 1988_028
Old guard Aerosmith's lesson: Loud isn't enough

By RUSSELL KARNS
Register Staff Writer

AMES, IA. — The old guard and the new wave of heavy-metal rock music met at Hilton Coliseum Wednesday night, and the old-timers educated the youngsters in how heavy-metal should be performed.

Aerosmith, one of the all-time great monster bands of rock, showed newcomers Guns N’ Roses that loud is just a part of heavy-metal music. You also have to have a little flair.

Guns N’ Roses has a lot of potential, but compared to the veteran band of bad boys from Boston, they have a ways to go. Aerosmith has been near the top of the rock pile since bursting on the scene 15 years ago, and the band has gotten better with age. Guns N’ Roses may have learned a few lessons after watching the masters of metal perform.

Most of Guns N’ Roses’ music is composed of thrashing guitars and bashing drums. The quintet has the look of a bunch of street punks. They live up to their image.

Songs like "Welcome to the Jungle” and “Rocket Queen” were typical of what this band represents — decadent sex and violence. Even though the music was simple and basic, it was played with passion, and the band drew a roaring response from the crowd of 12,107.

Wraith-like lead singer W. Axl Rose, sporting tattoos on his arms, slithered around the stage like a snake while spewing out venomous vocals most of the night. He and the rest of the band showed a flash of brilliance on “Sweet Child o' Mine.” On this mournful number he gave indications that he realty can carry a tune, given the right material.

When Aerosmith took the stage, it was like heavy-metal heaven .This five-piece band has been cranking out hits for years, and the experience and professionalism shone like the awesome light show used throughout its set.

Aerosmith's music is like a lot of heavy metal in that it dwells on sex. but they have a sense of humor that helps keep the music from getting dreary. They also lace their music with some rhythm and blues, which makes for an authentic rock style.

The main men in Aerosmith are vocalist Steven Tyler and guitarist Joe Perry. Perry provided a burning guitar that fueled the band's beat, and Tyler kept the crowd amused with his prancing antics. Tyler was dressed in tight black slacks and a flowing black gown that whipped around like a rag in the wind as he danced madly around the stage, much to the crowd’s delight.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87782

Back to top Go down

1988.07.27 - Hilton Coliseum, Ames, USA Empty Re: 1988.07.27 - Hilton Coliseum, Ames, USA

Post by FRANSAD Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:05 am

I'm sure this is the complete and correct setlist order.
Since they opened with ISE during that period and you can clearly see on the DVD that the gig ends right after "Ït tastes good, don't it?"

1. It's So Easy
2. Mr. Brownstone
3. Out Ta Get Me
4. Patience
5. Rocket Queen
6. Welcome To The Jungle
7. Sweet Child O' Mine
8. It Tastes Good, Don't it?
FRANSAD
FRANSAD

Plectra : 1976

Blackstar likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down