APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

Absuɿd (Silkworms)

2 posters

Go down

Absuɿd (Silkworms) Empty Absuɿd (Silkworms)

Post by Soulmonster Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:25 pm

Absuɿd (Silkworms) Newbor11
ABSUЯD (SILKWORMS)
Albums:

Digital single (August 6, 2021), Hard Skool CD (January 2022).

Written by:
Axl Rose, Slash, Duff Mckagan and Dizzy Reed are credited as song writers for Absurd. Chris Pitman also contributed to the early version, Silkworms.

Musicians:
Axl Rose - vocals
Slash - lead guitar
Duff - bass guitar
Richard - rhythm guitar
Brain - drums
Melissa - keyboards

Information:
An early version of the song (as Silkworms), recorded in about 2000, leaked in 2019 (a presumably later version with even later guitar leads by Bumblefoot had leaked in full in 2018). A reworked version with Slash and Duff was then released under the name Absurd in 2021.

Live performances:
Absurd (named Silkworms in the beginning) was played for the first time at The House of Blues on January 1, 2001 (that live version included a chorus that was missing from the leaked studio versions). A new version of the song was debuted on August 3, 2021 in Boston, MA, USA. In total, both versions combined, it has, as of {UPDATEDATE}, at least been played {ABSURDSONGS} times.
Lyrics:

SILKWORMS LYRICS (2001 live version)
Listen motherfuckers to this song that should be heard
Thrown down in the gutter, it's more than you deserve
Kneeling fucking virgin, you know that's what you are
Pussy full of maggots, isn't that a shock

What can I do? With a bitch like you
You know that it's true
All I have I ask of you
I'll be dammed
If it's not true
A bitch like you

Get your head down in the sky
Fucking little schemer got yourself a broken heart
Syphilitic preachers baby I know who you are
Parasitic demons sucking acid through your heart

What can I do? With a bitch like you
You know that it's true
All I have I ask of you
I'll be dammed
If it's not true
A bitch like you

ABSURD LYRICS
Listen motherfuckers, to this song that should be heard
Back down in the gutters it's more than you deserve
Screaming fucking banshee, you know that's what you are
Pussy full of maggots, isn't that absurd?

Dizzy little dreamer with your head down on the star
Fucking little schemer, got yourself inside the heart
Syphilitic priestess baby, I know who you are
Parasitic demon sucking acid through your heart

Absurd!
Absurd!
Absurd!

Absurd!
Absurd!

Just a world away
Let's drift away

Absurd!
Absurd!
Absurd!

Quotes regarding the song

This next song was written by Mr. Dizzy Reed, and Mr. Chris Pitman. This is called Silkworms.

Umm... it was passed back and forth on our [Dizzy's and Chris'] computers. yea.. you know, we do a lot of work now on computers. We pass it back and forth and I had a couple riffs so... yea[...] It kind of went away. I mean we actually played it a few times live... but... I'm sure it'll up at some point.

[Silkworms] ended up being this incredible track that sounded like Guns N' Roses 10 or 15 years in the future. It was so far removed from our other songs that we had to put it in this other place. Concept-wise, it didn't fit with Chinese Democracy. We hope we will have other songs that match that kind of futuristic sound. It's a really exciting track because it morphs into this crazy sound, but it was out so much in the other direction that we have to let time catch up with it.

[Describing the state of song]: [It] has a lot of guitars, lots of different drum the chorus is gone.

Some of you might have heard this under another name, but this is... it's really kind of absurd to try this. [Frank adds a rimshot]. Wasn't that funny? And they don't even know the joke yet. Okay, this is called 'Absurd.'

We got a new song out. If you don’t like it, that’s okay, we’re gonna play it anyway. It's called Absurd.

[Asked if he had heard Absurd] I have. I remember the song from when I was laying guitar parts for the ['Chinese Democracy'] album. I laid some parts for it back then. And, of course, they've all been replaced — I'm not in the band. Slash should be on there, of course, doing all the leads and stuff. So, yeah, I heard it. And it was pretty cool hearing him on there doing his thing. It definitely made it feel more like what it is — like a band.

[Asked about the origins of Absurd and Hard Skool] They both have a lot of history. What happened was, Axl has all these songs that he recorded at some point along the way, and so Duff and I went and redid them, basically (laughs). [The interviewer comments that Slash’s stamp is all over them]  You know, I write my own parts to what else is going on, and just sort of… just took the drums and redid everything else.

I played on recordings [of ‘Absurd’ and ‘Hard Skool’], but then we redid everything. [...] When Slash and Duff got on ‘em, it felt like a GNR track, you know? I recut my guitars as well. [Talking about the first time Absurd was played live] [Laughs] People were pretty taken aback by that. [...] I love playing ‘Absurd’ live. It’s fun to play live.

A lot of [the new material] was done [during the pandemic], yeah.

[Talking about recording Absurd and Hard Skool] The bass and the guitars are all re-done, for the most part, but the original drums are still intact, and the vocals. Basically, the material was there, and I just got in there during covid and re-did the guitars, Duff did the bass, and we went from there and just put it out. And there’s some more stuff coming out too. But there’s not sort of a mental trajectory. It’s just that Axl wanted to get this material done because it was sitting there. He said: “Okay, we can rehash it.” So there you go.

One of the things Axl wanted to get off his chest was a bunch of material he’d recorded. So we thought, ‘Well, that’s a good way to wet our feet.'

[Asked about the guitar he used on Absurd and Hard Skool] I used the Derrig on both of those tracks, which is funny because it ended up sounding completely different to how it normally does. I played through somebody else’s Marshall and a small sort of Pro-Tools setup. For some reason, it came out sounding very different to how it would if I was using it through my own rig. But that’s the Derrig you’re hearing on both tracks.

Melissa was also excited to have contributed musically to the band’s two newest released singles “ABSUЯD” and “Hard Skool”, which coincidentally feature Brain on drums as well.
Melissa Reese website, 2022

… that song, but it’s true. It was a long time ago and it was blurred out on TV [on the Howard stern show], but some scary ass chick took a Big Gulp from 7-Eleven filled with maggots and put it on her bikini. I thought that was pretty absurd, I was writing about somebody who I thought was absurd, and just thought it fit. That’s all. Poetic license... Creativity.... Inspiration. Well, enough of that... So, good ole Howard is part of GN’R history. Just saying.

You know, that song, I didn’t make that shit up. It’s really old, that line. It’s from a Howard Stern show. There was some crazy individual in a bikini with, like, a 7-Eleven Big Gulp full of maggots pouring it down in her bikini. It fit the song because I was writing about an asshole, so, you know… I am a sick motherfucker, but not sick enough to make that up by myself.

Absuɿd (Silkworms) Newbor11

Last edited by Soulmonster on Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:07 pm; edited 32 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76730

Back to top Go down

Absuɿd (Silkworms) Empty Re: Absuɿd (Silkworms)

Post by Soulmonster Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:53 am

Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:37 am

From Music Radar, Aug. 6:
Guns N' Roses release high-octane new single, Absurd

By Jonathan Horsley

The Chinese Democracy-era track Silkworms is reworked and boiled down to its helter-skelter hard-rock essence

Guns N' Roses have released their first studio-recorded single since 2018, Absurd. It finds the hard-rock institution turning Slash loose on the Chinese Democracy-era track Silkworms, stripping it down into a high-octane rocker.

Produced by Axl Rose and Caram Costanzo, Absurd features former drummer Bryan "Brain" Mantia, and arrives a few days after the band debuted the reworked track live from Fenway Park, Boston, during their We're F'N Back! Tour.

During the Chinese Democracy era, Rose had incorporated a lot more electronic elements to the band's sound, but if Silkworms was considered one of the more futuristic compositions – ultimately one of many tracks recorded but unreleased – Absurd returns Guns N' Roses to the fundamentals, foregrounding the electric guitar.

That said, there's still a neo-punk, Public Image Ltd quality to Rose's vocals, and the energy is much darker and chaotic than the sunbleached-denim classicism of Sweet Child O'Mine.

After a few days spent squinting at poorly recorded smartphone footage that looked like Paul Greengrass was filming during an earthquake, it is something of a relief to hear a high-fidelity version of the song, and perhaps it arrives with the promise of more new music to come.

Guns N' Roses are presently tearing up the States with Wolfgang Van Halen's Mammoth WVH in support – a stretch that terminates with a two-night stint at Floriday's Hard Rock Live Arena on 2 to 3 October. Their UK and European tour, which features a number of stadium dates, has been put back to 2022.

It has been a good summer for Guns N' Roses fans with Slash's much-anticipated signature Epiphone collection released, offering five Les Pauls and a pair of J-45 acoustic guitars in the same finish options as their Gibson counterparts. And Slash himself become the first artist to sign up with Gibson Records, whose first release will be the next Slash ft. Myles Kennedy & the Conspirators album.
https://www.musicradar.com/news/guns-n-roses-absurd-single
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87859

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:58 am

Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:35 pm

Classic Rock/Metal Hammer, Aug. 8:
Our first reaction to the new Guns N’ Roses single ABSUЯD

Guns N’ Roses share their first recording since the return of Slash and Duff… and our man Stephen Hill is here for it

We’ve got accustomed to surprise returns in the music world over the last decade, but, even though it’s been a good five years since we first saw them share a stage again, there’s still something slightly unbelievable about the fact that we now have Slash and Duff McKagan back alongside Axl Rose in Guns N’ Roses.

The assumption from most was that the as-close-to-the-original-line-up-as-we’re-likely-to-ever-see reunion would see Gn’R put out to pasture as a creative force and instead afford these three hard rock icons an opportunity to ride out their twilight years in the warm glow of nostalgia. Granted, over the last few years there have been various statements from the trio that suggested new material would be coming from the band, but, come on, this is Guns N’ Roses: history has taught us to be a touch cynical about such pronouncements, and in fairness no-one would be shocked to their core if these so-called ‘songs’ never saw the light of day.

But then, sweet holy Jesus and his virgin mum, this morning we woke up to a brand-new Guns N’ Roses single! Who saw that coming? A first piece of music by these three men under the Gn’R banner since 1993! That’s twenty-fuckin’-eight years!

If you’re a fan of the band then you may well be familiar with Absurd, or ABSUЯD, as we won’t be referring to it from here on in. The song was initially named Silkworms and was originally recorded during the mammoth Chinese Democracy album sessions. There are in fact several different demo versions of the track that have been floating about for decades. Back in the day, the song’s co-writer (alongside Dizzy Reed) Chris Pitman, who exited the group in 2016, said it sounded like a Guns N’ Roses song from the future. Well, we’re in the future now, so the time feels right. Many of the original versions of the song lean heavily on the industrial influences that Axl was so keen on incorporating during that period, but this new and re-named iteration of the song feels like a fairly different beast, even though the fingerprints of the Chinese Democracy-era are still clearly present.

The first thing you hear is a massive, chunky guitar riff, not a typical sleazy Guns N’ Roses riff, but more of an alt-metal stomper that you might associate with Helmet or the Rollins Band, if those bands were trying to pay tribute to The Cult. Cool. There are a few subtle little licks in the background from Slash that reminds you just who it is you’re listening to, but the overall feel is a real rough and raw energy that one might not have anticipated from a legendary, mainstream stadium rock band.

Then we get that patented high pitched wail from Axl to usher himself in: it sounds great, but the Axl-isms don’t last long. Instead, Guns’ mercurial frontman sounds like he’s going for a bit of an old school punk rock vibe - there’s a lot of effects on the vocal, but he barks out the verses like an amalgam of John Lydon and TSOL’s Jack Grisham. It’s great to hear him do something a little different and to also hear him sounding so fired up. Lyrically he’s on great form too, spitting bile as he barks about “Parasitic demons sucking acid through your heart”. Blimey!

When the chorus comes in, Slash gets a chance to show off his chops and solos away as Axl sneers the title’s refrain over the top. It’s simple but incredibly effective. And let’s give a little shout out to Duff for the bass run that brings everyone back in as they head into the next section of the song.

Perhaps the most surprising part of Absurd occurs at 2:08 when the entire thing vanishes and we get a very brief ambient interlude that suggests that Guns N’ Roses may well have been listening to a little bit of Sigur Ros since they last got together. Lovely.

Then it’s back into that riff, and the band career through to the end of the song after that little breather, with Slash taking every available opportunity to remind you of his presence by abusing his screaming and squalling guitar with admirable gusto. Then it all just drops out and they’re gone. The first piece of new Guns N’ Roses material in... well... a long time is over.

So, maybe it wasn’t all a pipe dream after all. Maybe we actually are going to get that new album. And maybe, just maybe, on the strength of Absurd it might actually be pretty good.

Some might complain that this doesn’t sound like “classic” GnR, but there really is no way that they - or indeed anyone else - is ever going to be able to top that legacy material. So, it would appear that the reunited and rejuvenated band aren’t going to even try. Instead Absurd does something totally different, making Guns N’ Roses sound genuinely pumped up, aggressive and full of boisterous energy.

Let’s have some more of that please lads.
https://www.loudersound.com/features/our-first-reaction-to-the-new-guns-n-roses-single-absuyad
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Soulmonster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:23 pm

Absurd has been now added on ASCAP (which collects royalties for Dizzy) and Global Music Rights/GMR (which collects royalties for Slash and Duff). Axl is on SESAC, which is yet to be updated with Absurd.

ASCAP lists Axl, Slash, Duff and Dizzy as writers/royalty recipients. The percentage controlled by ASCAP (30%) is obviously Dizzy's share (15% directly to Dizzy and another 15% to his publisher). Chris Pitman is not listed (he's represented by ASCAP as well):

Absuɿd (Silkworms) Ascap_10

https://www.ascap.com/repertory#/ace/search/workID/913016643

GMR has not been fully updated with all the writers and Slash and Duff's share yet:

Absuɿd (Silkworms) Gmr10

https://globalmusicrights.com/Search?q=1423294&filter=6&mask=SLASH
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Soulmonster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:06 pm

Axl explaining how the line "pussy full of maggots" came about while he was watching the Howard Stern show (partial):

… that song, but it’s true. It was a long time ago and it was blurred out on TV, but some scary ass chick took a Big Gulp from 7-Eleven filled with maggots and put it on her bikini. I thought that was pretty absurd, I was writing about somebody who I thought was absurd, and just thought it fit. That’s all. Poetic license... Creativity.... Inspiration. Well, enough of that... So, good ole Howard is part of GN’R history. Just saying.

Thanks, @Blackstar!
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Uli likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:22 am

You know, that song, I didn’t make that shit up. It’s really old, that line. It’s from a Howard Stern show. There was some crazy individual in a bikini with, like, a 7-Eleven Big Gulp full of maggots pouring it down in her bikini. It fit the song because I was writing about an asshole, so, you know… I am a sick motherfucker, but not sick enough to make that up by myself.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:46 pm

The Howard Stern Show Axl mentioned in the quotes above aired on December 31, 1993.

I wonder if that means that the lyrics to the song were written around that time.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:51 pm

Blackstar wrote:The Howard Stern Show Axl mentioned in the quotes above aired on December 31, 1993.

I wonder if that means that the lyrics to the song were written around that time.

Could be but it is a memorable thing that could inspire lyrics many years later.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum