APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

Dj Ashba

+2
DanyYo
Soulmonster
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Dj Ashba Empty Dj Ashba

Post by Soulmonster Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:59 pm

Dj Ashba NeWborder_zpsk3uwcgt1
DJ ASHBA
Dj Ashba DJ_Ashba_2010

Full name:
Darren Jay Ashba.

Date of birth:
November 10, 1972.

Band position:
Lead guitar.

Time with Guns N' Roses:
2009 - July 2015.

Shows with the band:
{DJSHOWS}
Biography:
Daren Jay "DJ" Ashba (born November 10, 1972) is an American musician, producer, and songwriter. He is currently the lead guitarist in Sixx:A.M.. He is also known for his work with hard rock bands BulletBoys and Beautiful Creatures. He has worked with various artists including Mötley Crüe, Guns N' Roses, Drowning Pool, Marion Raven, Aimee Allen and Neil Diamond. He is the CEO of Ashba Media. [Wikipedia, August 2016].

Quotes:
Dj's a gifted, energetic guitarist that Guns N' Roses is proud to have on board!! We're very excited to have the opportunity to work together. Guns' radar has silently been aware of Dj's presence for quite some time. He brings a fresh approach to our particular brand of mayhem expanding the tapestry of Guns N' Roses live. Once Dj's name was in the hat, the hat disappeared!! [Guns N' Roses Press Release, March 2009]

DJ is working out great. He's a great guy and is very easy to get along with. He's brought so much to the live show and has been really well received by the audiences [AFD Q&A, June 2010]

He seems great! I haven't worked with him yet [NewGNROldGNR interview with Brain, July 2010]

Talking about the fans being receptive to DJ: At first he got a lot of that until we started playing shows and they saw how much we had prepared and made sure he was ready to be out there. And he put on a great show and the band was tight and people couldn't deny that he was doing a great job. So at that point I think that his period of people fighting it wasn't as long as mine. We got to rehearse with him for a good year and work out gear and work out parts. I had two weeks, and they wouldn't even give me a fucking microphone. They said there was no room in the mixing board to include me. So that was my fucking experience coming into this [WickedInfo, August 2010]

We have a new guitar player, DJ Ashba, and he's amazing [twincities.com, November 2011]

Dj made a good addition because he has fun with the gig and he doesn't take himself too seriously off the stage, which is important [Detroit Free Press, November 2011]

I think he fits in really well. Not to diss Robin Finck or anything, but DJ’s a better fit because Axl and him really get along really well. The stage vibe is a lot lighter and more festive. It’s not like we’re grinding out a set. It’s more fun [60 Memphis, November 2011]

The addition of Dj helps [with the mindset of members during the tour] -- him and Axl have a pretty good relationship [LA Weekly Blog, December 21, 2011]

DJ seems to play better on hangover days for some reason. I recommended he doesn't smoke this show [The Forum, LA, December 21] [iClip live chat, December 21, 2011]

I've known DJ for a while and he's such a talented writer with great ideas. He's been so inspiring to me as well to see how much he puts into it and has such an incredible song writing resume. I grew up listening to Neil Diamond, my Dad loved his music and his songs are embedded in my whole soul really. Neil Diamond is truly one of the greatest songwriters we've ever had and to get those credentials of writing with him and for him is super impressive to me. That`s just one aspect of what DJ brings to the table and he offers a lot and he's a great performer and great to be around too [Metal Express Radio, May 2012]

[...] I made sure that when DJ joined the band, I had a chat with our band. I said, “Look. No one is ever going to be treated like [...]. It doesn’t matter who joins this band next, we’re going to treat them like family from day one, and that’s never going to happen again,” and it didn’t [/i] [Metal Mayhem Magazine, November 2012]

DJ – a great songwriter [Boomerocity, January 2013]

Talking about the currebnt guitarists in GN'R: I've never met any of them except for the guy who wears the top hat. I can't remember his name.[Niko https://www.facebook.com/notes/896731803705278/, January 2015]

Dj Ashba NeWborder_zpsk3uwcgt1

Last edited by Soulmonster on Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:26 am; edited 15 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76206

Back to top Go down

Dj Ashba Empty Re: Dj Ashba

Post by Soulmonster Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:41 pm

I have to say I have been on the fence for a while now when it comes to what Dj can bring to the band. I guess I was a bit put off by his looks and behaviour outside of the stage, all the while realizing that he is a great show man and -- almost annoyingly, I admit -- not being able to find much wrong with how he plays.

But last night's show (Rock in Rio IV) has brought me down from that fence. Dj did a great job. And he is a great show man. In addition he brings a certain flavour, a certain style or guitar tone, that I believe GN'R needs. His renditions of both Slash's bluesy licks as well as Robin's solos are great, and he serves as a perfect bridge connecting the raw and bluesy old guns with the modern more technically and futuristic new guns. He is no Bucket or Bumbles, but that is not what GN'R needs, the band already has Bumbles and a very technically skilled Richard. The band needs someone that are able to play the simpler things with a certain flair and authenticity. I am not saying Dj can't tap or know his way around the fret board, he is technically very skilled, it's just that that isn't so much needed in GN'R when Bumbles and Richard is there, as a good ol' bluesy showman that serves to preserve some of what made old guns so popular.

It also seems he is more enthusiastic about the gig than most others. He interacts more with the crowd, he seems to enjoy it more, and he was the only one that did something new with his solo spot. He obviously cares. He is enjoying himself. And I really want band members who enjoy themselves.

I guess I must just accept being a curmudgeon when it comes to his emo style and his postings about getting drunk and beating up trespassers at concerts. And when thinking about it I suppose he doesn't behave that differently to my heroes in GN'R back in 1988, and I guess their dress style back then wasn't so great either. If he can bring in some new fans nothing could be better than that.

And if he keeps on playing with the enthusiasm and skill that he did yesterday he is exactly what the band needs.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by DanyYo Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:56 pm

IMO he's an avarage musician and a great show off. And some of his ways to attract fans are cheap.
DanyYo
DanyYo

Plectra : 6243

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:57 pm

Another point: He seems to interact well with Axl, hopefully to the point of
motivating him to actually record, release and play music. I have become a
deeliever.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Tue May 22, 2012 7:10 pm

Dj Ashba Largeksrb91078384

Dj Ashba Large22dfc55ns8kw
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Thu May 24, 2012 9:08 pm

Very cool thing to do:

Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by puddledumpling Thu May 30, 2013 2:14 am

DJ just tweeted this with the caption "Just a couple of small town Indiana boys!"
Nice to see more Tony Trujillo pics - the guy rocks too

Dj Ashba 08c1195ec8b711e285e422000a1fb768_7
puddledumpling
puddledumpling

Plectra : 6643

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:19 pm

GUNS N' ROSES and SIXX: A.M. guitarist DJ Ashba claims that he almost lost his life after trying to quit smoking by using electronic cigarettes containing dangerous chemicals.

Ashba, who has been trying to kick the habit for at least a couple of years now, posted a photo on Instagram on Wednesday of himself smoking a cigarette. This prompted one fan to ask him: "I thought you quit the cigs, man?" The guitarist then replied: "I did quit [cigarettes] for 9 months. However, I was smoking fake cigarettes that I bought in a mall in Poland which contained high doses of nicotine and antifreeze, which kills people."

He continued: "Nobody knows this, but I was rushed to the hospital put on heart monitors and I had eight of the best doctors trying to save my life. Poison control confirmed that the nicotine intake that was going into my body from the fake cigarettes was equivalent to smoking 33 packs of cigarettes a day.

"After doing a full body CAT scan, the doctors were amazed that every organ in my body was in perfect condition. They advised me to start smoking real cigarettes because my body would go into shock if I just stop smoking, so now I can wean myself off of real cigarettes and hopefully quit for good this time."

He added: "We purposely kept this out of the press but that is the real story of why I am smoking right now."

Electronic cigarettes, also called "e-cigarettes," are battery-operated devices that generally contain cartridges filled with nicotine, flavor and other chemicals. The electronic cigarette turns nicotine, which is highly addictive, and other chemicals into a vapor that is inhaled by the user.
Source: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=191812&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:39 am

Apparently, Dj has revamped his webpage: http://www.djashba.com/
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon May 05, 2014 1:31 pm

Dj in (probably) 1997:

Dj Ashba 538268_400834139952053_246364916_n
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:05 pm

Dj posted on Instagram with the following text:

Dj Ashba 10919279_1586183824947006_402807825

This badass MF just showed up on my doorstep today! An insane gift from @axlrose I am off to proudly hang this in my house! #SoSic #blessedlife #1mCopies #ChineseDemocracy @gunsnroses
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Uli Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:35 am

http://tinyurl.com/zee4sql

Former GUNS N' ROSES and current SIXX: A.M. guitarist DJ Ashba says that GN'R singer Axl Rose wanted him to be a part of a partial reunion of the band's classic lineup but he "just didnt feel like it was [his] place."

Ashba, who joined GUNS N' ROSES in March 2009 following the departure of Robin Finck and stayed in the band until last July, was asked by Metal Insider if he knew that the GN'R reunion was going to happen this year. He responded: "Absolutely. In fact, Axl wanted me to be a part of it.

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dj-ashba-axl-rose-wanted-me-to-be-a-part-of-guns-n-roses-reunion/#3oQqMtELy5GEVPUc.99
Uli
Uli

Plectra : 9422

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sun May 01, 2016 12:20 pm

I am happy that didn't happen! Very Happy
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Johan Mon May 02, 2016 3:17 pm

Indeed! Still my least favourite band member..
Johan
Johan

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 7358

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next