APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2016.07.03 - Soldier Field, Chicago, IL, USA

4 posters

Go down

2016.07.03 - Soldier Field, Chicago, IL, USA Empty 2016.07.03 - Soldier Field, Chicago, IL, USA

Post by Soulmonster Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:36 am

2016.07.03 - Soldier Field, Chicago, IL, USA NeWborder_zpsk3uwcgt1

July 3, 2016
Soldier Field, Chicago, IL, USA
Setlist:
01. It's So Easy
02. Mr. Brownstone
03. Chinese Democracy
04. Welcome to the Jungle
05. Double Talkin' Jive
06. Estranged
07. Live and Let Die
08. Rocket Queen
09. You Could Be Mine
10. Raw Power (w/ You Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory intro)
11. This I Love
12. Civil War
13. Coma
Godfather theme (Slash's solo)
14. Sweet Child O' Mine
15. Better
16. Out Ta Get Me
Wish You Were Here jam
17. November Rain
18. Knockin' One Heaven's Door
19. Nightrain
ENCORE
20. Don't Cry
21. The Seeker
22. Paradise City

Date:
July 3, 2016.

Venue:
Soldier Field.

Line-up:
Axl Rose: Vocals and piano
Slash: Lead and rhythm guitar, and backing vocals
Richard Fortus: Rhythm and lead guitar, and backing vocals
Duff Mckagan: Bass and backing vocals
Dizzy Reed: Piano and backing vocals
Frank Ferrer: Drums
Melissa Reese: Keyboard and backing vocals

Poster:
(Artist: Damu Groves)

Last edited by Soulmonster on Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76731

Back to top Go down

2016.07.03 - Soldier Field, Chicago, IL, USA Empty Re: 2016.07.03 - Soldier Field, Chicago, IL, USA

Post by Uli Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:08 am

It's so easy

CD
Uli
Uli

Plectra : 9477

Back to top Go down

2016.07.03 - Soldier Field, Chicago, IL, USA Empty Re: 2016.07.03 - Soldier Field, Chicago, IL, USA

Post by Soulmonster Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:19 pm

Been away on a muntain hike. Will update with setlist later.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by denitza Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:18 pm

Soulmonster wrote:Been away on a muntain hike. Will update with setlist later.

I will wait pictures from the hike. :-)
denitza
denitza

Plectra : 4891

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:06 am

Review in the A.V. Club:

Alex McCown wrote:Guns N’ Roses started their set 15 minutes early? And other surprises

There must be a German word for something that is both a little silly and a little awesome. For the past 20 years, the lame nightclub act still using the name Guns N’ Roses was merely the former: A ridiculous shadow of its former self, the “Axl plus hired guns” lineup ran through the group’s standards with all the conviction and appeal of a GNR cover band. There’s nothing wrong with continuing to make a living by trading on your once-great band’s musical output—it’s called the state fair circuit, and it pays the bills for lots of acts who no longer feel the creative itch but want to put on a show—but there was something unseemly about seeing such a legendary band devolve into the Axl Rose Cabaret Show. It didn’t help matters that the acrimony between the other founding members of Guns N’ Roses was so public, let alone that the decade-plus wait for Chinese Democracy became an easy punchline for the dangers of superstar megalomania. (Even at the height of their success, Rose’s diva behavior was appalling, which is the kind of thing that comes back to haunt you when falling out of the public’s good graces.)

But along comes the Not In This Lifetime… Tour, which finally restores that missing element of awesomeness to the Guns N’ Roses equation. The return of the founding members of the group (save for Izzy Stradlin and long-disavowed original drummer Steven Adler) is the kind of feel-good “burying the hatchet” narrative that makes fans feel like something near to their hearts has been restored to its proper place in the universe. I went to the concert Friday night at Soldier Field in Chicago, along with A.V. Club Editorial Coordinator Becca James, and a couple of unexpected things happened: First, the band not only started on time, but 15 minutes early; and second, we really enjoyed a Guns N’ Roses concert in 2016. I really didn’t think that second one was possible.

So what made it so entertaining? It certainly wasn’t the fans. If you’re wondering who attends a GNR concert these days, it’s pretty close to the stereotype you have in your head. White people in their 40s and 50s, many in from the suburbs, who pulled their old concert tees out of mothballs and decided to make a night of nostalgia as close to a time machine journey to 1992 as possible. Picture the kinds of college bros who crush beer cans on their foreheads and girls who sit on their boyfriends’ shoulders whooping at festivals, and add a couple decades. It reminded me of Joan Cusack’s perfect line from Grosse Pointe Blank, about attending her high school reunion: “It was just as if everyone had swelled.”

A lot of the people around us were, to put it diplomatically, objectively terrible. The guy next to me had a Tourette’s-like habit of screaming “Are you kidding me?!” every time the band launched into another song, or Axl exhorted the crowd to cheer, or even when someone on stage would mosey a few steps to the left, really. It was as if existence itself were some sort of impossible miracle he couldn’t wrap his mind around and had to continually scream to God herself to confirm this beautiful truth, because he feared it might all dissolve in a Matrix-esque digital blip the next instant. Which is annoying, but not as much as when he felt the need to involve me in his declamations. When Slash transitioned from a guitar solo into the opening lick of “Sweet Child O’ Mine,” my neighbor grabbed me by the shoulders. “Are! You! Kidding! Me?!?!” he feverishly shrieked, spittle flying into my pores from his demented visage. I can still see it when I close my eyes. Three different people spilled beer on me, and I’m not exaggerating when I say that two of them reacted to the realization of what they had done by raising up the devil horns and shouting, “Yeah!” I didn’t know Miss Manners had changed the rules for spilling on another person to a celebratory satanic symbol. (This probably says more about my general stupidity regarding social codes than it does them.)

But not everyone was so bad. The people in front of us were clearly having the time of their lives. A husband and wife duo, there with a few friends, couldn’t stop taking selfies and yelling “Guns N’ Roses!”—which led me to theorize they had fallen in love at an Appetite For Destruction Tour date, and this was a reminder of everything good in their lives. At one point—I shit you not—he lifted her several inches in the air (I guess sitting on shoulders is out of the question after a certain age), so she could pull up her shirt to flash her breasts at the stage. Becca and I stared at them, then at each other, then back at them again. It was like going sightseeing in Rome and having the pope come out of the bathroom you’re waiting in line to use.

Still, I had a great time. And it had everything to do with the earnest performance Guns N’ Roses put on. It was pure nostalgia, true, but it was a transformative nostalgia, a stubborn refusal to acknowledge the passing of time, that felt like a defiant middle finger in the air to the aging and death awaiting all of us. When Axl ran across the stage to jump on the monitors mid-song, or when he changed outfits, or played the piano on “November Rain,” there was an undeniable air of resistance in the face of change, a visible testament to how it was possible—even if only for the duration of a concert—to reject the progression of life. The entire stadium projected itself backward in time, and partied like it was 1989.

The show was mostly a greatest-hits assemblage, with the odd deep cut making an appearance (“Coma,” “Double Talkin’ Jive”) and a few nods to the other members’ subsequent work (Duff played a couple of punk covers, Slash got to do some solo guitar noodling). There were even a few tracks from Chinese Democracy, and honestly, they didn’t sound as shitty live as they do on record, though they were also clearly from a different era of band composition. But the hits just kept coming, a reminder of how ubiquitous the band was during its heyday. I quickly realized I didn’t just know the obvious touchstones—“Paradise City,” “Welcome To The Jungle,” “You Could Be Mine”—I knew every damn song from those landmark albums, within five seconds of the opening riffs. Appetite is wall-to-wall great, as close as you can get to a flawless hard-rock album, and every track from it still thunders with almost embarrassing catharsis.

Even the lesser songs from Use Your Illusion felt resonant in the wayback-machine atmosphere of the concert. I’ve never before felt so rocked by “Estranged,” and likely never will be again, but damned if Becca and I weren’t singing along that night. I didn’t even know I knew the words. (For the life of me, I can’t remember them now.) That’s the power of a great concert. It makes the silly sublime and the ridiculous raw, and the outdated and cheesy becomes timely and resonant, for those precious few hours in which it’s happening. It’s all a bit goofy, just like the crowd dressed up like they were in their youth, and it’s fair to cop to the dangerous sway of nostalgia in popular culture at large. But it’s also fair to admit that everyone needs a win now and then, and for the people who paid to see Guns N’ Roses kick some ass on Friday night, that was a win. The world may have passed them and their musical tastes by, but for a brief moment, everyone deserves to feel cool again. Except me. I had beer spilled all over me.
Source: http://www.avclub.com/article/guns-n-roses-started-their-set-15-minutes-early-an-239045
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Thu May 18, 2023 7:22 pm

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87860

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Wed May 24, 2023 12:27 pm

Review in Chicago Music Guide, July 4, 2016:
Guns N Roses Live at Soldier Field

Concert Review by Frank Lucas

I recall the first time I saw Guns N Roses, as a young tyke, back in 1988 on the Monsters of Rock tour. Axl and company looked like street toughs onstage doubling as one of the most exciting, new rock bands in the world during that time. As famous as Guns N Roses were for their music (Appetite for Destruction went to #1 on Billboard several times that year), their off stage personas garnered them just as much notoriety. The band was known for engaging in fisticuffs with police and fans alike and heavy drug use as it was for its music.

The album influenced an entire generation of teen rockers and like the little engine that could, it just kept chugging along, gaining momentum and popularity as time went on.

Subsequently, after the huge success of follow-up albums Use Your Illusion 1 and 2, the band collapsed with Rose becoming the sole remaining member, letting go of the other musicians. Since then, only one album, Chinese Democracy, was recorded and released.

Fast forward 23 years later, Guns N’ Roses (with original members Rose, McKagan and Slash) showed their old form to a packed Soldier Field audience and reminded us of the many chart topping hits the band scored back in the day. Izzy Stradlin and Steven Adler may no longer be with the band, but the monster seven-piece group featuring Dizzy Reed on keyboards, Richard Fortus on guitar, Frank Ferrer on drums and Melissa Reese also on keyboards, tore through a 2 ½ hour 25 song set that satisfied even the most die-hard Guns N’ Roses fans.

The show delivered every conceivable rock-opus concert staple from pyrotechnics to high tech lighting rigs to massive OLED video backscreens. Axl Rose came and went, off and onstage for numerous outfit changes as he and the rest of the band were decked out in traditional rock star garb.

The band itself looked great and in great physical shape and did not seem to show any adverse effects of past hard-living. Sounding like the Axl Rose of old, the Guns N Roses lead singer moved and slinked about the stage non-stop with the band tearing into the fan demanded “Welcome to the Jungle,” “Paradise City,” and “Sweet Child O’ Mine.”

I actually turned to several concert goers nearby and we all agreed that Rose sounded every bit as good as he did back in 1993, the last year the original lineup had performed together. To my eyes and ears, however, the night belonged to Slash who consistently was the most musically polished and soulful throughout the show.

His guitar playing was at such a high level and connected so much melodically that even many of his famous solos and intros were aped vocally by the audience as was the case during his performance of “Speak Softly Love” from The Godfather. Slash, gut-rumbling bassist Duff McKagan and thunderous drummer, Frank Ferrer, tore through the rhythm section featured “Nightrain,” “Double Talkin’ Jive” and “Out Ta Get Me.”

Some of the high points of the show were also some of the most understated if you were to just look at the evening’s set list. The spacey “Wish You Were Here” (Pink Floyd cover) into “Layla” (Derek and the Dominoes cover) had Rose sitting in on piano and also highlighted the genius guitar playing of Richard Fortus, especially when exchanging solos or during duet guitar work with Slash.

I actually felt the hints and touches of the Allman Brothers during these segments. There were the epic moments as well in which keyboardists Dizzy Reed and Melissa Reese gave a convincing effort synthesizing and replicating a 30-piece symphonic orchestra on powerful arrangements of “Live and Let Die” and “November Rain,” in which the audience, once again, sang along to Slash’s guitar solo in the latter.

Ladies and gentlemen, this was such a fun show. It ranks as the surprisingly must-see event of the summer. The band looks and sounds great and has returned back to its original form, readily delivering the epic, football stadium musicianship Guns N’ Roses fans have come to love.
https://www.chicagomusicguide.com/guns-n-roses-live-at-soldier-field-review/
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87860

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down