APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

Wichita Lineman (Glen Campbell cover)

3 posters

Go down

Wichita Lineman (Glen Campbell cover) Empty Wichita Lineman (Glen Campbell cover)

Post by Blackstar Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:24 pm

Wichita Lineman (Glen Campbell cover) Newbor11
WICHITA LINEMAN
Albums:
Glen Campbell, Wichita Lineman, 1968.

Written by:
Jimmy Webb.

The song has been covered by many other artists, notably Johnny Cash, Ray Charles, James Taylor, R.E.M. and Stone Temple Pilots (with Glen Campbell).

Live performances:
Guns N' Roses started to cover this song as a tribute to Glen Campbell, who passed away on August 7th, 2017. The first performance was at the concert in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, on August 30, 2017. In total it has, as of {UPDATEDATE}, at least been played {WICHITASONGS} times.
Lyrics:
I am a lineman for the county and I drive the main road
Searchin' in the sun for another overload
I hear you singin' in the wire, I can hear you through the whine
And the Wichita Lineman is still on the line

I know I need a small vacation but it don't look like rain
And if it snows that stretch down south won't ever stand the strain
And I need you more than want you, and I want you for all time

[Instrumental Interlude]

And I need you more than want you, and I want you for all time

[Instrumental to end]

Quotes:

Introducing the song the first time it was played:

Okay, we're gonna try something we've never played before, and it might not be your favorite. It is just kinda pay a tribute to someone. And it is not what you think.
Commonwealth Stadium, Edmonton, AB, Canada, August 30, 2017

I don’t know if fired up’s the right phrase for this but for me right now I really enjoy singing Wichita Lineman. It has such a haunting vibe especially with Glen’s passing and our version feels a lot like old Guns acoustically to me.

You know, we started doing the Glen Campbell song after he died as a tribute to him. We started doing Black Hole Sun after Chris died. We started doing Melissa after Gregg Allman died, you know? And they all sort of started organically, like one of us just played it and then people started picking up on it. Like, that's why I started playing it and then Slash came out and played on top of it.

You know the Glen Campbell song - which I love playing - you know, but he passed and Axl said, "Can you guys learn that song?" So it was backstage before a gig one night in North Carolina. So such a strange guitar-wise song. And we played it, I think, man, maybe that night or the next night. And it just kind of remained in our setlist. It's a nice spot for him to breathe and it's a cool showcase of his mid range voice, I think. It's great.

Wichita Lineman (Glen Campbell cover) Newbor11

Last edited by Blackstar on Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87860

Back to top Go down

Wichita Lineman (Glen Campbell cover) Empty Re: Wichita Lineman (Glen Campbell cover)

Post by Uli Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:54 am

Blackstar wrote:[...] right now I really enjoy singing Wichita Lineman. It has such a haunting vibe especially with Glen’s passing and our version feels a lot like old Guns acoustically to me.

That's a nice quote from Axl - because when I listened to one of the first few recordings of GnR covering this one, I felt too that it sounds a bit like an acoustic track the band might've done around '88-'91! Cool
Uli
Uli

Plectra : 9477

Back to top Go down

Wichita Lineman (Glen Campbell cover) Empty Re: Wichita Lineman (Glen Campbell cover)

Post by Blackstar Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:08 pm

Uli wrote:
That's a nice quote from Axl - because when I listened to one of the first few recordings of GnR covering this one, I felt too that it sounds a bit like an acoustic track the band might've done around '88-'91! Cool

I agree! I like GnR's version and I think this kind of song fits the current band.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:22 am

I also really liked the first version they did of it and agree completely with you guys. I didn't know the original version (and still don't) and when I listened to the first time they covered it, the end sounded like old school GN'R acoustic jam.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76731

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:58 am

Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:42 am

Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

ludurigan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:21 am

Okay, we're gonna try something we've never played before, and it might not be your favorite. It is just kinda pay a tribute to someone. And it is not what you think.
Commonwealth Stadium, Edmonton, AB, Canada, August 30, 2017
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:32 pm

(Instagram, Aug. 18, 2023)
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:42 pm

You know, we started doing the Glen Campbell song after he died as a tribute to him. We started doing Black Hole Sun after Chris died. We started doing Melissa after Gregg Allman died, you know? And they all sort of started organically, like one of us just played it and then people started picking up on it. Like, that's why I started playing it and then Slash came out and played on top of it.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:39 pm

You know the Glen Campbell song - which I love playing - you know, but he passed and Axl said, "Can you guys learn that song?" So it was backstage before a gig one night in North Carolina. So such a strange guitar-wise song. And we played it, I think, man, maybe that night or the next night. And it just kind of remained in our setlist. It's a nice spot for him to breathe and it's a cool showcase of his mid range voice, I think. It's great.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down