APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

Going Down

3 posters

Go down

Going Down Empty Going Down

Post by Soulmonster Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:30 am

Going Down Newbor11
GOING DOWN
Albums:
Unreleased.

Written by:
The song was written by Tommy Stinson and then presumably worked on by the band.

Musicians:
Tommy is on lead vocals and Axl on backing vocals for one of the versions. The rest of the musicians are unknown and likely vary between the versions.

Live performances:
This song has to our knowledge never been played live.

Notes:
A song recorded in the Chinese Democracy era but that didn't make it onto the 'Chinese Democracy' album. Consists of at least two leaked versions, one with Axl on background vocals (leaked in 2013, supposedly featuring Bumblefoot and hence from 2006 or later), named as "Going Down", and one version without Axl (leaked in 2019 as part of the Village discs and likely recorded in 1999 or 2000) and simply named "Tommy Demo #2". It's legal status today is unknown.

Lyrics:

I know the shape you're in
It's a crown of thorns
It never seems to break the skin
There's no blood, there's no scars
And just your broken feet

You used to be so sweet
And you walked with a smile
The Ashtray's full and the coffee's cold
And the things you say... make you look so old

You've got nothing good to say
Keep your mouth shut
Nothing good to do
Do it to yourself
Nothing's ever good enough for you

Sick of everything you say as you're going down
Sorry for everything
Sick of everything that you do as your going down
You look like a fool
Never meant to hurt no one
Just happened to be there next to you
As you were going down

I know this dark place
I heard these words
I've heard them before a million times
I've heard them yelled I've even heard them sung
Get into your car and drive just as fast as you can
You had your 15 minutes you tried to take an hour
Now no one takes your call

You've got nothing good to say
Keep your mouth shut
Nothing good to do
Do it to yourself
Nothing's ever good enough for you
Sorry for everything
Sick of everything that you do as your going down
You look like a fool
As you were going down
As you're going down
As you're going down

Sorry for everything
Sick of everything that you do as you're going down
You look like a fool
As you were going down
As you were going down, going down

Nothing's good enough for you

QUOTES REGARDING THE SONG:

I'll say what I always say about GD - it sounds 'Earthy' to me, whatever that means, lol

After leaving Guns N' Roses, Tommy was unsure about the fate of the song:

You know, I was wondering about that the other day myself. I don't really know what's gonna happen with that song in the future or not. I'm still in touch with all those guys and, you know, I haven't really seen them since I saw the show last year, last fall, but it's an interesting question and I don't really have an answer for it. I don't know if they would ever put it out, being that I'm singing it, you know, but you never know. Axl comes up with some different ideas about things all on his own, you know?

Going Down Newbor11

Last edited by Soulmonster on Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:03 pm; edited 11 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76730

Back to top Go down

Going Down Empty Re: Going Down

Post by Soulmonster Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:32 am

I have always liked this song, but the new, leaked version is really beautiful.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Shackler Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:40 pm

In a new episode of the Banned podcast with Rick Dunsford (ep. 24, roughly 15 minutes in) he speaks of how he talked to Tommy about the two demo tracks and 2019 leaks.

• Tommy wasn't familiar with the locker leaks but after learning about it he said it was ridiculous.
• The name of the "Tommy Demo #1" is "Ten Percenter", likely referring to an agent, who takes 10% from a client's earnings.
• He also said that he's trying to get both "Ten Percenter" and "Going Down" back from GNR to release on a future solo album and that he doesn't think GNR is interested in using the songs anymore.
• He prefers the stripped down version of "Going Down" on the Village disc to the newer Bumblefoot version. If he releases the song it will sound more like the original.

Tommy apparently didn't have any versions of the songs, so Rick had to send them to him, which seems to line up with the band fearing leaks (lol).
Shackler
Shackler

Plectra : 2747

Soulmonster, Uli and Blackstar like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:46 am

I'll say what I always say about GD - it sounds 'Earthy' to me, whatever that means, lol
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:06 am

Interestingly, Bumblefoot was asked about Going Down in November 2013 and answered in a way where it could seem Going Down had inspired a song on his own Barefoot EP:

You know what? Here's the problem. And this is why I say that I am also a bigger pain in the ass to Axl, because when it comes to something like this, when something leaks, that is an illegal activity which could possibly, depending, lead to legal [issues], in which anything I say could be used against [us]. So when something leaks, it's very important to say nothing because it could affect legal issues, and it's better not to talk about that. But I tend to talk…

Here's the thing: Before 'Chinese Democracy' came out, which, as we know, was exactly five years ago yesterday, I started working on an acoustic album called 'Barefoot' that I ended up releasing the following month, after 'Chinese' was released. So I have a little acoustic EP called 'Barefoot'. There was an additional song that I recorded on that album, along with everything else, where pretty much that album, it was just two guitar tracks, maybe some bass in the background and vocals; it was very raw — just acoustic guitar, acoustic lead guitar, vocals. I did it all myself. While I was at it, I kind of recorded an extra song. From what I understand… yeah… So, anyway, if you listen to the 'Barefoot' album, you might notice a similarity in tone and playing and everything to other acoustic songs that might have escaped the… Yeah. But I don't know anything about anything.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:22 pm

Soulmonster wrote:Interestingly, Bumblefoot was asked about Going Down in November 2013 and answered in a way where it could seem Going Down had inspired a song on his own Barefoot EP:
You know what? Here's the problem. And this is why I say that I am also a bigger pain in the ass to Axl, because when it comes to something like this, when something leaks, that is an illegal activity which could possibly, depending, lead to legal [issues], in which anything I say could be used against [us]. So when something leaks, it's very important to say nothing because it could affect legal issues, and it's better not to talk about that. But I tend to talk…

Here's the thing: Before 'Chinese Democracy' came out, which, as we know, was exactly five years ago yesterday, I started working on an acoustic album called 'Barefoot' that I ended up releasing the following month, after 'Chinese' was released. So I have a little acoustic EP called 'Barefoot'. There was an additional song that I recorded on that album, along with everything else, where pretty much that album, it was just two guitar tracks, maybe some bass in the background and vocals; it was very raw — just acoustic guitar, acoustic lead guitar, vocals. I did it all myself. While I was at it, I kind of recorded an extra song. From what I understand… yeah… So, anyway, if you listen to the 'Barefoot' album, you might notice a similarity in tone and playing and everything to other acoustic songs that might have escaped the… Yeah. But I don't know anything about anything.
It seems that Bumblefoot was not referring to Going Down here but to the leaked acoustic version of Better which he recorded during the Barefoot sessions (thanks @zombux for pointing out).
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87859

Soulmonster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:03 pm

May 2018, being asked what is happening to the song:

You know, I was wondering about that the other day myself. I don't really know what's gonna happen with that song in the future or not. I'm still in touch with all those guys and, you know, I haven't really seen them since I saw the show last year, last fall, but it's an interesting question and I don't really have an answer for it. I don't know if they would ever put it out, being that I'm singing it, you know, but you never know. Axl comes up with some different ideas about things all on his own, you know?
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum