APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

Out Ta Get Me

2 posters

Go down

Out Ta Get Me Empty Out Ta Get Me

Post by Soulmonster Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:52 pm

Out Ta Get Me Newbor11
OUT TA GET ME
Album:
Appetite for Destruction, 1987, track no. 4.

Written by:
Original riff by Izzy, most of the lyrics by Axl.

Musicians:
Vocals: Axl Rose; lead guitar: Slash; rhythm guitar: Izzy Stradlin; bass: Duff McKagan; drums: Steven Adler.

Live performances:
The song was played first on February 28, 1986, at The Troubadour. In total it has, as of {UPDATEDATE}, at least been played {OTGMSONGS} times.
Lyrics:

Been hidin' out
And layin' low
It's nothing new ta me
Well you can always find a place to go
If you can keep your sanity

They break down the doors
And they rape my rights but
They won't touch me
They scream and yell
And fight all night
I lose my head
I close my eyes
They won't touch me
'Cause I got somethin'
I been buildin' up inside
For so fuckin' long

They're out ta get me
They won't catch me
I'm fuckin' innocent
They won't break me

Sometimes it's easy to forget where you're goin'
Sometimes it's harder to leave
And everytime you think you know just what you are doin'
That's when your troubles exceed

They push me in a corner
Just to get me to fight but
They won't touch me
They preach and yell
And fight all night
You can't tell me
I lose my head
I close my eyes
They won't touch me
'Cause I got somethin'
I been buildin' up inside
I'm already gone

They're out ta get me
They won't catch me
I'm fuckin' innocent
They won't break me

Some people got a chip on their shoulder
And some would say it was me
But I didn't buy that fifth of whiskey
That you gave me
So I'd be quick to disagree

They out ta get me
They won't catch me
I'm innocent
So you can
Suck me
Take that one to heart

Quotes regarding the song and its making:

Talking about writing the song:

[...] and [Izzy] wrote some of the words to Out Ta Get Me and I have, like, a line about the whiskey at the end in Out Ta Get Me and stuff. You know, we put in if we have something to put.

The cops busted down our door one night looking for Axl. They wanted him to answer what turned out to be a bogus rape charge. [...] Axl didn't do the crime (or time), but the incident inspired a great song, 'Out To Get Me,' which we quickly added to our sets in early 1986. You can hear the depth of our collective anguish in that song, shitting ourselves that the record labels might get wind of the situation and break off their courtship: "You can't catch me, I'm fucking innocent!"
Duff's autobiography, "It's So Easy", 2011, p. 110

[Talking about the period after the 'Hell Tour' to Seattle]: [Nicky Beat] had a rehearsal studio in his house in Silverlake where we'd go, set up our gear, and jam, and that is where the whole band really came together. Izzy had something called 'Think About You' that we liked, and we revisited 'Don't Cry,' which was the first song I'd ever worked on with Izzy, Izzy had another riff for a song called 'Out Ta Get Me' that clicked with me immediately when I first heard it - we had that one done in no time.
"Slash", 2007

A lot of our earlier songs came to us almost too easy. 'Out Ta Get Me' came to be in an afternoon, even faster than 'Jungle.' Izzy showed up with the riff and the basic idea for the song and the second he played it, the notes hit my ear and inspired me. That one happened so quickly, I think that even the most complicated section - the dual guitar parts - were written in under twenty minutes.
"Slash", 2007

It started with that intro like, which was Izzy's, and I remember hearing it and going, "That's awesome!" The way the song sounds on record is exactly how it sounded in my head from the second I heard that riff. Izzy's stuff was always easy to expand upon. He would always have a classic line that you could make into some humongous riff. We just ripped into that lead line.
Guitar Edge Magazine, March 2007

There was a riff that came from Izzy on 'Appetite,' and it became Out Ta Get Me. He played it off the cuff one day, and I picked up on it right away. It was that kind of inspiration between the five of us that would make songs come together.
Leslie West interviews Slash, August 2017

I heard that in the Cheap Trick song that says "they are out to get you". Yet, when this was in our song, I was the paranoid fucker. But you know, I didn't write it; that was the only line I didn't write in that song, "out ta get me". That was Izzy's.
Lisbon, Portugal, June 2, 2017

Introducing the song:

This is a brand new one. I wanna dedicate this to the LAPD and any young girl who likes to fuck around!
The Troubadour, Los Angeles, USA; February 28, 1986

Are you people ready to forget why you do what the fuck they tell you to? This is called 'They're Out To Get Me.'
Fender's Ballroom, Los Angeles, USA, March 21, 1986

I don't like to repeat the same raps too often but my roadies get mad if I don't tell you a story. We got busted coming into Canada and Skippy the Dog found a joint on the bus, so they held us for a pretty long time. And it only convinced me that I just fucking hate cops. This is a song right to you [?] assholes, called Out Ta Get Me.
Open Air Theatre, San Diego, USA, September 4, 1987

Two nights ago we did a show in Atlanta. At about the second song, I found myself on the way to jail. I won’t go into a lot of detail on that, but, basically, that was a case of people getting pushed around to sit in the back, people getting hurt to sit in the back; and people abusing their authority and guys going “Look, I got the lead singer!” I’m gonna dedicate this to the “Atlanta’s finest” and to the guys that bailed me out. This is a song called “Out Ta Get Me”!
Lakeland Civic Center, Lakeland, FL, USA, November 24, 1987

We just recently did a show in Atlanta, opening up for Motley Crue [...], and I [...] actually warned a security guard being a little shit and pushing the kids around, really proving that he was an asshole, and he called me out. So I dived down over the fucking rail, and before I got over the rail, the fucker hit me. So, I got him about three times, and now I’m being charged for four counts of assault for hitting police that I never touched. These are the kind of people that can just suck my dick! You know, I’ve got nothing against fucking security. [?] you're out doing your job, but you don’t need to fucking push kids; not my friends that come here. These are the kind of people that get me down. They make me feel that somebody out there is out to get me!
UIC Pavilion, Chicago, IL, USA, December 18, 1987

Now last night, what happened was, five guys in suits decided in the Hyatt Regency Hotel that we were scumbags. They were right, we are scumbags, But that doesn't mean we're gonna take their shit. So, first off this guy grabs me and calls me Bon Jovi. Bon Jovi can suck my dick. Second off he tried to hit me, that's when Steven cracked him in the head with his cast. [...] You never try to hit one of the family. Then another guy tried to hit me [...]. And after that they kicked us out of the bar and the same five guys holding ice bags on their heads blocked us off in the hallway and called us out away. He knocked the same motherfucker out twice. After that the cops came and started arresting people who weren't even involved in the fight! Because they have typical cop mentality. The reason I went to jail was because this real big fucking cop told this 17 year old girl who they were trying to arrest her boyfriend and she was upset, that if she didn't shut her fucking mouth he'd kick her fucking ass and that she was a stupid bitch. Pretty low, right, for a big fucker? And then he went to hit her, and so, to distract him I told him to fuck off. This guy chased me for about 20 feet and threw me ten feet [?] into the bar. I wasn't een fighting and it took 5 fucking assholes to hold me down. People wonder what we write our songs about. I think you can get the general idea when we write a song like...out to get me!
Dane County Coliseum, USA, December 19, 1987

Last night I got into a little hassle at the Cathouse [?]...with this singer in another band who has a problem, I won't tell you his name, but he is one of these people who think he is a rock star. That kind of thinking is a fucking croc of shit! I mean, I lived on this fucking streets for about 7 fucking years and I am telling you, I am just like you! That's all there's to it. You don't need this ego bullshit. They make a bad name for people who try to fucking do their job and do what they like. They can fuck it up for everybody else. That's the kinda people, man, they're just as good as the people that fucking tell you how long you can wear your hair, what you should wear, and what you should do and what kind of job you should have! They all should get in a fucking room [?] and blow them straight to hell, as far as I am concerned! These kind of people make me feel that someone out there is out...to...GET...ME!
Perkins Palace, USA, December 30, 1987

We wanna dedicate this song to the people who try to hold us back, the people who tell you how to live, people who tell you how to dress, people who tell you how to talk, people who tell you what you can say and what you can't say. I personally don't need that! Those are the kind of people that will get me down, they make me feel like, somebody, somebody out there, is OUT TA GET ME!
The Ritz, February 2, 1988

Talking about the song:

The lyrics are saying 'I've always been in trouble but I'm still handling it.' Like every time you turn around, someone is trying to screw you over financially, or the cops are banging on your door and you didn't do anything. It's just being railroaded into something and trying to get out from underneath it. You know - parents, teachers, preachers... everybody. The last verse Slash and I put together as a joke 'cause we were talking about how we get in fights sometimes, and how some people get pissed off that you're drunk. But they're the ones that bought the bottle of whiskey to get you drunk on. Some people say I got a chip on my shoulder. [...]We had that one as one of our opening numbers for a while because we were headed to a Roxy show and got pulled over by four cops. They picked up a bag off the street; said we threw it out the window and there were drugs in it. There were no drugs in it and they were just trying to hassle us, saying our advance money in our pockets was drug money. They searched everything, pushed us around, and we were late for a show.
Geffen Press Kit, 1987

I also like "Out to Get You" which talks about some of our "encounters" with the cops.

I know a big rock star right now who buys all the fucking booze and then drinks it all up and he gets fucking irate. 'Out Ta Get Me' is Guns N' Roses' big anarchy statement. [...] It's kinda hard to explain this so people can understand it. We were one of the most opposed bands. We had opposition from everywhere, the whole fucking time. Still do. It's not as bad now 'cause we're signed and some people like the shit we do. But we started out with so many people from so many different directions trying to lash out at us. And trying to say don't let them in here, and don't let them do this, and don't let them do that, and watch them, and this and that and the other.
Hit Parader, March 1988

And I remember I always had trouble with Out To Get Me or whatever that's the name of that song or whatever, because it had so many different parts I was like... you know.

Out Ta Get Me Newbor11

Last edited by Soulmonster on Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:07 am; edited 20 times in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76730

Back to top Go down

Out Ta Get Me Empty Re: Out Ta Get Me

Post by Soulmonster Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:33 am

I will be adding more live intros/rants to Out To Get Me in the coming weeks. They...are...great!
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:54 pm

Some more quotes:

Two nights ago we did a show in Atlanta. At about the second song, I found myself on the way to jail. I won’t go into a lot of detail on that, but, basically, that was a case of people getting pushed around to sit in the back, people getting hurt to sit in the back; and people abusing their authority and guys going “Look, I got the lead singer!”. I’m gonna dedicate this to the “Atlanta’s finest” and to the guys that bailed me out. This is a song called “Out Ta Get Me”! [Concert at Lakeland Civic Center, Lakeland, FL - 11.24.1987]
We just recently did a show in Atlanta, opening up for Motley Crue [...], and I [...] actually warned a security guard being a little shit and pushing the kids around, really proving that he was an asshole, and he called me out. So I dived down over the fucking rail, and before I got over the rail, the fucker hit me. So, I got him about three times, and now I’m being charged for four counts of assault for hitting police that I never touched. These are the kind of people that can just suck my dick! You know, I’ve got nothing against fucking security. [?] you're out doing your job, but you don’t need to fucking push kids; not my friends that come here. These are the kind of people that get me down. They make me feel that somebody out there is out to get me!  [Concert at UIC Pavilion, Chicago, IL - 12.18.1987]
And a recent one:

I heard that in the Cheap Trick song that says "they are out to get you". Yet, when this was in our song, I was the paranoid fucker. But you know, I didn't write it; that was the only line I didn't write in that song, "out ta get me". That was Izzy's [Lisbon, Portugal, June 2, 2017]
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87859

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:25 am

New quote from Slash talking about who wrote lyrics to songs off 'Appetite':

[...] and [Izzy] wrote some of the words to Out Ta Get Me and I have, like, a line about the whiskey at the end in Out Ta Get Me and stuff. You know, we put in if we have something to put.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:47 pm

I also like "Out to Get You" which talks about some of our "encounters" with the cops.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:07 am

Brain talking about learning GN'R songs:

And I remember I always had trouble with Out To Get Me or whatever that's the name of that song or whatever, because it had so many different parts I was like... you know.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum