APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

The Whaddy'ya Want? Thread

+4
DanyYo
Pawnshop-Sitars
Soulmonster
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Whaddy'ya Want? Thread Empty The Whaddy'ya Want? Thread

Post by Soulmonster Tue May 10, 2011 11:21 am

So, besides better Chrome support and more members, what do you miss with the forum? Is there anything that would make it a more attractive place to come and discuss stuff?

Last edited by Soulmonster on Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76730

Back to top Go down

The Whaddy'ya Want? Thread Empty Re: The Whaddy'ya Want? Thread

Post by Pawnshop-Sitars Sun May 22, 2011 5:37 pm

There is only one thing I can think of, and that is when a popular topic gets multiple pages it would be cool if you could just click the topic title and it takes you straight to the most recent page. At the minute it only takes you to the first page, and I am too lazy a bastard to keep clicking the small number underneath the title The Whaddy'ya Want? Thread 242178
Pawnshop-Sitars
Pawnshop-Sitars

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 4906

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sun May 22, 2011 6:58 pm

Pawnshop-Sitars wrote:There is only one thing I can think of, and that is when a popular topic gets multiple pages it would be cool if you could just click the topic title and it takes you straight to the most recent page. At the minute it only takes you to the first page, and I am too lazy a bastard to keep clicking the small number underneath the title The Whaddy'ya Want? Thread 242178

I agree with this.

I couldn't find any option for this is the administration panel but have asked the guys who have created the forum architecture. I will let you know as soon as I know.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sun May 22, 2011 7:38 pm

Here's a pseudo-solution. By clicking the icon after the nick you are immediately transferred to the last post in the thread. Not the last unread post, but the overall last post.

See picture below:

The Whaddy'ya Want? Thread Utennavn-6
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pawnshop-Sitars Sun May 22, 2011 8:43 pm

Thanks! Thanks for the solution as well, although I'm still too lazy to be happy doing that The Whaddy'ya Want? Thread 2388978530
Pawnshop-Sitars
Pawnshop-Sitars

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 4906

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Sun May 22, 2011 9:09 pm

Here's a better solution. Whenever there's a new post in a thread there will be a red icon. By pushing the icon you are directed directly to the new post. See picture below:

The Whaddy'ya Want? Thread Utennavn-7
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon May 23, 2011 6:41 am

Actually the above solution works. Instead of pressing the thread title, which just takes you to the thread, press the red icon on the right side, it will take you to the new post within that thread.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:27 pm

Anything else I can do for ya?
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by DanyYo Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:59 pm

I personally appreciate that you added more smileys & some of them are really cute but I still miss the the *nod*, *lol* *giggle* *banana* *mwa* *fpalm* *biggrin* *puke* *rolleyeys* *ninja* *hmpf* *thumbsup* *thumbsdown* ones. Not that I can't go on posting without them.
DanyYo
DanyYo

Plectra : 6297

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:37 pm

DanyYo wrote:I personally appreciate that you added more smileys & some of them are really cute but I still miss the the *nod*, *lol* *giggle* *banana* *mwa* *fpalm* *biggrin* *puke* *rolleyeys* *ninja* *hmpf* *thumbsup* *thumbsdown* ones. Not that I can't go on posting without them.

That's a good suggestion. I have actually been looking for nice smilies for those emotions, but haven't been able to find someone that will look nice with the smilies we already have. I will look a little bit more, and if I can't find any good smilies for those, I will probably just add the ugly ones from newgnr.com, although I don't like them.

All this being said, many of those emotions are covered by the animated smilies, which can be found when you are using the normal way of applying and not the 'quick reply'.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:00 pm

I'll make an effort to find those smilies tomorrow.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by 666 Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:32 pm

How about the most accurate lyrics for the Chinese Democracy album?

Plectra : 5401

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:34 am

666 wrote:How about the most accurate lyrics for the Chinese Democracy album?

I dunno if you are sarcastic or not, since I believe you despise Chinese Democracy The Whaddy'ya Want? Thread 34879. But you have a point, I haven't added lyrics to CD songs yet in our song database. I'll add it to the to-do list.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by 666 Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:44 am

Soulmonster wrote:
666 wrote:How about the most accurate lyrics for the Chinese Democracy album?

I dunno if you are sarcastic or not, since I believe you despise Chinese Democracy The Whaddy'ya Want? Thread 34879. But you have a point, I haven't added lyrics to CD songs yet in our song database. I'll add it to the to-do list.

Not being sarcastic in the least bit.

BTW, in the poll here, I voted for CD as my fav GNR album and that is the truth...as of now

Plectra : 5401

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:26 pm

666 wrote:Not being sarcastic in the least bit.

BTW, in the poll here, I voted for CD as my fav GNR album and that is the truth...as of now

Okay. I just added lyrics to the CD songs, so now I think that part is complete. I had to copy/paste the lyrics from various sites on the net, so there may be mistakes in the lyrics (since we know there were mistakes in the booklet. I'd appreciate if people let me know if they find mistakes and I will fix them pronto.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bumb.l.foot Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:13 am

How do i block people?
bumb.l.foot
bumb.l.foot

Plectra : 4762

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:15 am

Go to your Profile, then to Friends and Foes, type in the nickname of he member whose posts you don't want to see anymore.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:22 am

But, you won't be able to block seely, Monique or me. We are admins and mods and unblockable.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bumb.l.foot Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:20 pm

Cool feature, cheers
bumb.l.foot
bumb.l.foot

Plectra : 4762

Back to top Go down

Post by Monique Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:45 am

Unblockable! The Whaddy'ya Want? Thread 1869152358
Monique
Monique

Plectra : 4883

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:27 pm

So guys, no new requests and wishes? I plan on building up the concert database so every live show is featured. I will then crosslink directly to the bootleg database. I will also add reviews, pictures and videos from every show. The song database will be updated and I will start adding videos there as well, trying to find videos that reflect how different lineups have played the different songs.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by puddledumpling Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:59 am

What I want isn't something A4D.com can help me with right now: I don't have internet at home so here I sit after hours at one of my jobs using the computer to visit A4D.com. I am aware of all the databases in here and have a vast appreciation for the effort in compiling them. It will take me a while to browse it all in these short sessions - no other forum for GNR fans is quite like this one I suspect. Thanks for all of that and making a place for an isolated freak like me to visit. I'm trying to think of a way to help "people" the site if I can.

Something to ponder re. the future of internet forums is this: If I had internet at home I would utilize online listening like Pandora or last.fm to check out music new to me. Radio sucks so bad now and these playlists with suggestions mixed in is a way to learn about new-to-the-listener music without radio or television. I've followed suggestions and links from forum friends to find new music and am really pleased to have this resource. Right now I believe Honky Toast is my new favorite band! I wish I could have a copy of the video linked in this site to play at home. My point is that streaming custom designed playlists could someday be part of (or channeled through) this already weighty forum - I would spend time playing fellow forum member's audio playlists (or occasionally updated compilations as playlists) from time to time, besides my own. A development beyond the "what are you listening to" thread.

And another thing, I am someone who would (and does) shop online by following a link in a forum to help the forum get $ to support the hosting of it. I don't shop a lot but I very much enjoy the principal of conscious spending and I buy the music I want if it is available. I also try to buy music directly from the artists' sites or at live shows whenever I can. There is likely already a database of "official" GNR member and alumni sites in here that I haven't stepped in yet and.... this is a "free forum". That's cool if it really is free. An online, ad-free radio feed or compilation database programmed by fellow GNR fans would be well worth my support, especially because I want more music than I can afford thanks to all the cool stuff internet friends turn me on to. Online listening is the next best thing even if I have to haunt the office after hours a few evenings each week.

Last edited by puddledumpling on Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:00 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : verb tense correction)
puddledumpling
puddledumpling

Plectra : 6697

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:56 am

Hey, that's a good suggestion. I will try to see if I can find a widget that allows streaming of playlists in the forum without being interrupted whenever you navigate to a new section. Pandora is unfortunately not allowed outside USA, but I will check with last.fm and other options.

This forum is completely free, yes. Some content are hidden in the VIP section, but that section is not for paying members, just friends of the forum. I have no plans of generating any revenue, not from asking members to pay anything or by using advertisement links to online shops.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:04 am

I just added a radio widget (on the bottom right), but as you can see it stops each time one navigates to another thread/section. I don't know if that can be fixed.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:10 am

Uhm, I just discovered that you can pop out the radio player and it will play without interruption. No possibility to add playlists, though.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by puddledumpling Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:20 pm

I don't see the widget. What does it look like? I did open the chatbox and now it won't go away. Am I an idjit or what?
puddledumpling
puddledumpling

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:15 am

puddledumpling wrote:I don't see the widget. What does it look like? I did open the chatbox and now it won't go away. Am I an idjit or what?

I hope you are not. Just scroll down until you see "Online Radio Player" on your right side. The chatbox is closed by pressing the "chatbox" text in the chatbox's upper left corner. I will make a tutorial of this later.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by puddledumpling Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:28 am

Soulmonster wrote: The chatbox is closed by pressing the "chatbox" text in the chatbox's upper left corner. I will make a tutorial of this later.

No need - that was the first thing I tried. I believe it was a disobedient computer. Yes, that's got to be it. I exited A4D and came back to make it gone. Never saw the Online Radio Player last night though. I've used them at band websites so I'd know it if I saw it. I'm on a much nicer computer now at a much nicer job and lo and behold: there it is and thank you.
That other computer is stupid and it has no speakers. I should quit that job. Low tech no fun.
puddledumpling
puddledumpling

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:48 am

So should we keep the online radio player? I can optimize the layout of it and move it higher up (although I will place it beneath the more important news widgets).
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:55 am

I added a hotlink to the radio player (it needs to pop out to work anyway...) and moved the hotlink to the top of the right side. Is this okay? I will now look for a better player that allows playlists. Any suggestions?
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next