APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

2021.09.26 - Royal Farms Arena, Baltimore, MD, USA

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

2021.09.26 - Royal Farms Arena, Baltimore, MD, USA Empty 2021.09.26 - Royal Farms Arena, Baltimore, MD, USA

Post by Soulmonster Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:16 am

2021.09.26 - Royal Farms Arena, Baltimore, MD, USA Index12

September 26, 2021
Royal Farms Arena, Baltimore, MD, USA
Setlist:
01. It's So Easy
02. Mr. Brownstone
03. Chinese Democracy
04. Slither
05. Double Talkin' Jive
Link Wray's "Rumble" intro
06. Welcome to the Jungle
07. Better
08. Estranged
09. Live And Let Die
10. You're Crazy
11. Rocket Queen
12. Shadow Of Your Love
13. You Could Be Mine
14. I Wanna Be Your Dog (The Stooges cover)
15. Absurd
16. Hard Skool
17. Civil War
Slash Guitar Solo (You Gotta Move/Mannish Boy Jam)
18. Sweet Child O' Mine
19. November Rain
20. Wichita Lineman (Glen Campbell cover)
21. Patience
22. Coma
23. Sorry
Alice Cooper's "Only Women Bleed" intro
24. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
25. Nightrain
Encore
26. Madagascar
27. Don't Cry
28. The Seeker
29. Paradise City

Date:
September 26, 2021.

Venue:
Royal Farms Arena.

Line-up:
Axl Rose: Vocals and piano
Slash: Lead and rhythm guitar, and backing vocals
Richard Fortus: Rhythm and lead guitar, and backing vocals
Duff McKagan: Bass and backing vocals
Dizzy Reed: Piano and backing vocals
Frank Ferrer: Drums
Melissa Reese: Keyboard and backing vocals

Notes:
Live debut of Hard Skool which had been released two days prior.

Poster:
(Artist: Jose Maria Campoy)

2021.09.26 - Royal Farms Arena, Baltimore, MD, USA 2021-031

Last edited by Soulmonster on Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76581

Back to top Go down

2021.09.26 - Royal Farms Arena, Baltimore, MD, USA Empty Re: 2021.09.26 - Royal Farms Arena, Baltimore, MD, USA

Post by Blackstar Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:37 pm

2021.09.26 - Royal Farms Arena, Baltimore, MD, USA S-l16019

Last edited by Blackstar on Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87096

Back to top Go down

2021.09.26 - Royal Farms Arena, Baltimore, MD, USA Empty Re: 2021.09.26 - Royal Farms Arena, Baltimore, MD, USA

Post by Blackstar Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:32 am

Live debut of Hard Skool.

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Soulmonster and ludurigan like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:26 am

I have no idea why Axl uses this voice... He is not doing himself or anyone any favours... and he is not making any friends...
ludurigan
ludurigan

Plectra : 5451

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:27 am

No Paradise City for the finale?
ludurigan
ludurigan

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:31 am

ludurigan wrote:No Paradise City for the finale?
The show is still on. I'm updating the setlist as it goes.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

ludurigan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:22 am

wow, long one! do you know what is the reference on the poster artwork?
ludurigan
ludurigan

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:29 am

ludurigan wrote:wow, long one! do you know what is the reference on the poster artwork?
Edgar Allan Poe, The Raven.

Last edited by Blackstar on Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:06 am

Great set!

After reading at mygnrforum I expected a much worse vocal performance of Axl on Hard Skool. It wasn't too bad. I think some of the criticism is that it sounds different to the vocals from last the millennium. I also expect him to deliver more steady performances in the future. I am sure it must have been great to hear it live.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:08 am

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:27 am

With this show, Melissa has played more shows than Matt ever did.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:15 am

Blackstar wrote:
ludurigan wrote:wow, long one! do you know what is the reference on the poster artwork?
Edgar Allan Poe, The Raven.
Thanks! I thought he was British!
ludurigan
ludurigan

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:13 pm

Listened to to the Hard Skool from yesterday again, it is really not that bad. Some kinks he will undoubtedly iron out before the next show. The energy was there and he didn't run out of breath when I thought he would. It sounds different than on the released version, especially since there is not so much transition between "clean" verse and distortion in chorus, but the intensity is absolutely there. I think it must have been a great song live. And before I have been on the fence regarding the new intro, in a live setting the new intro kicks ass. It is just a headbangin' tune.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:29 pm

Soulmonster wrote:Listened to to the Hard Skool from yesterday again, it is really not that bad. Some kinks he will undoubtedly iron out before the next show. The energy was there and he didn't run out of breath when I thought he would. It sounds different than on the released version, especially since there is not so much transition between "clean" verse and distortion in chorus, but the intensity is absolutely there. I think it must have been a great song live. And before I have been on the fence regarding the new intro, in a live setting the new intro kicks ass. It is just a headbangin' tune.

What did you think about the "middle" part where the song slows down and Axl sings "Ay-Ay" for a while?
ludurigan
ludurigan

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:02 pm

ludurigan wrote:
Soulmonster wrote:Listened to to the Hard Skool from yesterday again, it is really not that bad. Some kinks he will undoubtedly iron out before the next show. The energy was there and he didn't run out of breath when I thought he would. It sounds different than on the released version, especially since there is not so much transition between "clean" verse and distortion in chorus, but the intensity is absolutely there. I think it must have been a great song live. And before I have been on the fence regarding the new intro, in a live setting the new intro kicks ass. It is just a headbangin' tune.

What did you think about the "middle" part where the song slows down and Axl sings "Ay-Ay" for a while?

Waste of space. I liked it more in the demo version, because then there was this intertwined guitar melodies that slowly built up in intensity. On the released version you have Slash's slide that is okay and some pointless "hey-heys" from Axl. In the live setting I felt it robbed the song of momentum and intensity, expect for when it kicked back in again.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:14 pm

I like the slow breakdown. I think it makes the song less "monotonous".

I liked it in the the demo version, too, as a standalone part (the guitar melody and even the little piano bit), but I felt it didn't fit with the main part of the song that much and made it sound disjointed. I think Slash's slide solo fits better and Axl's "hey-heys" (seemingly pasted from the vocal session of another song) go surprisingly well with it.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:57 pm

Blackstar wrote:I like the slow breakdown. I think it makes the song less "monotonous".

I liked it in the the demo version, too, as a standalone part (the guitar melody and even the little piano bit), but I felt it didn't fit with the main part of the song that much and made it sound disjointed. I think Slash's slide solo fits better and Axl's "hey-heys" (seemingly pasted from the vocal session of another song) go surprisingly well with it.

There is a GN'R youtuber in Brazil claiming that those vocals were taken from the "Eye on You" recording or something to that effect, does that make any sense? I am not familiar enough with those leaked songs to say anything and I threw most of them away so I can't verify!
ludurigan
ludurigan

Back to top Go down

Post by Shackler Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:09 pm

ludurigan wrote:
Blackstar wrote:I like the slow breakdown. I think it makes the song less "monotonous".

There is a GN'R youtuber in Brazil claiming that those vocals were taken from the "Eye on You" recording or something to that effect, does that make any sense? I am not familiar enough with those leaked songs to say anything and I threw most of them away so I can't verify!

Yes, those "heys" and the scream before the chorus are vocals from Eye on You.
Shackler
Shackler

Plectra : 2732

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:10 pm

ludurigan wrote:

They are definitely similar but I don't know if anyone has checked to see if they are identical. There are other similarities between the breakdown in HS and the chorus of EoY.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Blackstar likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:57 am

Shackler wrote:Yes, those "heys" and the scream before the chorus are vocals from Eye on You.

wow.

just wow.

I don't even know what to say about this!

Total Shock
ludurigan
ludurigan

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:12 am

ludurigan wrote:

Shackler wrote:Yes, those "heys" and the scream before the chorus are vocals from Eye on You.

wow.

just wow.

Total Shock

I know what to say. I HATE that they might be stripping great songs for parts to use in other songs if it means those great songs won't be released. It's like taking a brand new Ferrari and stripping it for parts to put in a Kia. I absolutely love Eye On You. (I also love Hard Skool so the Kia analogy wasn't very good). I am listening to it now and it is even better than I remembered. It just gets better and better. It is terrible as a GN'R song, yes yes yes, so different and so little guitars and so funky, but my god what a wondrously quirky thing it is. And that drum and bass groove makes me wanna do dirty things. GN'R is not known for sexy songs, but that one is. I know people have a problem with the MacDaddy vocal line - personally I think it is fine and I don't think it is meant to be taken too seriously. Don't get me wrong, the song should be taken seriously, but only as a non-serious, fun song. I have this growing suspicion that some fans have forgotten that many GN'R songs were just made for fun, the fun of playing, the fun of partying to. Not all their songs very these deep, epic, serious things. Axl also has the most impressive screams of GN'Rs back catalogue in it. So don't rip it apart!!
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Shackler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Shackler Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:16 pm

Soulmonster wrote:
ludurigan wrote:

wow.

just wow.

Total Shock

I know what to say. I HATE that they might be stripping great songs for parts to use in other songs if it means those great songs won't be released. It's like taking a brand new Ferrari and stripping it for parts to put in a Kia. I absolutely love Eye On You. (I also love Hard Skool so the Kia analogy wasn't very good). I am listening to it now and it is even better than I remembered. It just gets better and better. It is terrible as a GN'R song, yes yes yes, so different and so little guitars and so funky, but my god what a wondrously quirky thing it is. And that drum and bass groove makes me wanna do dirty things. GN'R is not known for sexy songs, but that one is. I know people have a problem with the MacDaddy vocal line - personally I think it is fine and I don't think it is meant to be taken too seriously. Don't get me wrong, the song should be taken seriously, but only as a non-serious, fun song. I have this growing suspicion that some fans have forgotten that many GN'R songs were just made for fun, the fun of playing, the fun of partying to. Not all their songs very these deep, epic, serious things. Axl also has the most impressive screams of GN'Rs back catalogue in it. So don't rip it apart!!

I agree! I'm grateful we have the Eye of You rough mix though, best of both worlds Very Happy
Shackler
Shackler

Plectra : 2732

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:41 am

Soulmonster wrote:I know what to say. I HATE that they might be stripping great songs for parts to use in other songs if it means those great songs won't be released.

I think I know what to say too but I was afraid that I would be a tad too negative. Since you "started" I believe I can "follow". We are a bit in the same page here but for a bit of different reasons. I agree with what you said. I think the "taking parts from one car to put into another" is a great analogy. It perfectly sums up the situation. But what REALLY bugs me (and puzzles me) is how Axl is the ultimate lazy-fuck for doing something like that. Yeah, this is him, not they, right? I can't fucking believe that Axl is doing this sort of lazy, lazy stuff. It is just too lazy. Even for him. What is wrong with this guy? Is his brain so fried that he can't fucking create a new melody line for a new song part? And he needs to resort to a melody that he created a decade ago? And he can't even re-record the vocals? He just copies and pastes it?

Soulmonster wrote:That drum and bass groove makes me wanna do dirty things

hahahahaha that was a funny line man.

Soulmonster wrote:GN'R is not known for sexy songs

No? I don't think that there are too many rock songs that are as sexy as Rocket Queen! That groove is unbeatable!

Soulmonster wrote:I have this growing suspicion that some fans have forgotten that many GN'R songs were just made for fun, the fun of playing, the fun of partying to.

Oh I always thought that is was Axl who had forgotten all about having fun with music! I would be so happy to have him back doing silly songs. Like I keep envisioning how easy it would be for him to call Izzy and sit with Izzy with acoustic guitars and write silly three-chord songs like Used to Love her, making fun of whatever they wanna make fun of!! Izzy's albums have quite a few songs like that...

Soulmonster wrote:Axl also has the most impressive screams of GN'Rs back catalogue in it. So don't rip it apart!!

I need to listen to that again
ludurigan
ludurigan

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:51 pm

Good performance of Shadow Of Your Love

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Soulmonster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:46 pm

Blackstar wrote:Good performance of Shadow Of Your Love

Brilliant. I hope they put this out at some time. I think with a proper recording and mixing, this would be absolutely killer. Just imagine Axl singing this song almost flawlessly at 60.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Blackstar likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:48 pm

ludurigan wrote:
Soulmonster wrote:I know what to say. I HATE that they might be stripping great songs for parts to use in other songs if it means those great songs won't be released.

I think I know what to say too but I was afraid that I would be a tad too negative. Since you "started" I believe I can "follow". We are a bit in the same page here but for a bit of different reasons. I agree with what you said. I think the "taking parts from one car to put into another" is a great analogy. It perfectly sums up the situation. But what REALLY bugs me (and puzzles me) is how Axl is the ultimate lazy-fuck for doing something like that. Yeah, this is him, not they, right? I can't fucking believe that Axl is doing this sort of lazy, lazy stuff. It is just too lazy. Even for him. What is wrong with this guy? Is his brain so fried that he can't fucking create a new melody line for a new song part? And he needs to resort to a melody that he created a decade ago? And he can't even re-record the vocals? He just copies and pastes it?

Soulmonster wrote:That drum and bass groove makes me wanna do dirty things

hahahahaha that was a funny line man.

Soulmonster wrote:GN'R is not known for sexy songs

No? I don't think that there are too many rock songs that are as sexy as Rocket Queen! That groove is unbeatable!

Soulmonster wrote:I have this growing suspicion that some fans have forgotten that many GN'R songs were just made for fun, the fun of playing, the fun of partying to.

Oh I always thought that is was Axl who had forgotten all about having fun with music! I would be so happy to have him back doing silly songs. Like I keep envisioning how easy it would be for him to call Izzy and sit with Izzy with acoustic guitars and write silly three-chord songs like Used to Love her, making fun of whatever they wanna make fun of!! Izzy's albums have quite a few songs like that...

Soulmonster wrote:Axl also has the most impressive screams of GN'Rs back catalogue in it. So don't rip it apart!!

I need to listen to that again

I also have no idea why he would have to strip one song instead of just going to the recording studio and record new parts. It could be that Axl, or the people around, supposed that would take a lot of time, a lot more than they are willing to spend when they can just find something suitable in the vault.

I actually thought of Rocket Queen, and yes, I suppose it is sexy. But one swallow does not a summer make.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:13 pm

Yes, Axl sounded kinda good, all things considered

Curious interaction between Axl and Slash. I don't recall ever seeing Axl go to Slash during a song to share vocals -- he did it twice one this one. Is he doing that on this tour?

Now... I sincerely can't understand how you guys -- or Axl, Slash and Duff -- can enjoy the sound of this... It's butchered in so many levels. Axl employees --specially the drumer but also the guitar player -- really don't understand the songs and really don't fit. Everything they change is unnecessary and for the worse. I have no idea how Axl, Slash and Duff allow, accept --- enjoy? -- what these guys do...
ludurigan
ludurigan

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:28 pm

ludurigan wrote:Curious interaction between Axl and Slash. I don't recall ever seeing Axl go to Slash during a song to share vocals -- he did it twice one this one. Is he doing that on this tour?
Is Axl trying to convince Slash that Izzy must return?
ludurigan
ludurigan

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:42 pm

ludurigan wrote:Yes, Axl sounded kinda good, all things considered

Curious interaction between Axl and Slash. I don't recall ever seeing Axl go to Slash during a song to share vocals -- he did it twice one this one. Is he doing that on this tour?

Now... I sincerely can't understand how you guys -- or Axl, Slash and Duff -- can enjoy the sound of this... It's butchered in so many levels. Axl employees --specially the drumer but also the guitar player -- really don't understand the songs and really don't fit. Everything they change is unnecessary and for the worse. I have no idea how Axl, Slash and Duff allow, accept --- enjoy? -- what these guys do...

Musical preferences are subjective? It's why we like different things. I can imagine it must be a bummer to you that GN'R likes stuff you don't, but I don't think you will find a guy who likes everything GN'R has ever released, considering how varied the discography is. And apparently they like Frank and Richard.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:28 am

Soulmonster wrote:
ludurigan wrote:Yes, Axl sounded kinda good, all things considered

Musical preferences are subjective? It's why we like different things. I can imagine it must be a bummer to you that GN'R likes stuff you don't, but I don't think you will find a guy who likes everything GN'R has ever released, considering how varied the discography is. And apparently they like Frank and Richard.

Oh, I am that guy!

In my book Guns n' Roses hasn't released one single bad song to this very day.

(Ok, maybe So Fine isn't that great)

There were bad songs released under the GN'R name but those were just Axl Rose songs, I don't consider them to be GN'R songs anymore than an Izzy solo song, or an Slash solo song, or a Duff solo song.

Guns n' Roses is undefeated to this day. Not one bad song written, recorded and released by these guys.

About how people perceive them?

Oh sure. I can understand people enjoying this lineup and all the other lineups of the band. How can you not enjoy a band playing some of the best songs ever written? You put Axl singing with a wedding band and if they are professional and skilled enough to play the right notes at the right tempo then people will enjoy it. Specially if you didn't grow up used to GN'R, specially if you don't have Guns n' Roses music ingrained in your mind/heart etc.

For people that started listening to GNR in the 21st century, maybe Axl's clean voice is "normal"? And those employees are "normal"?

Now that is about the fans and their perception.

What worries me is that Slash and Duff are fully embracing this *musical* nonsense. These are guys who spent years talking about how the original band was this and that etc

I specially remember reading quite a few Duff interviews where he said how a good drummer is crucial to a band, how it can make or break it, how it changes everything etc

And then they compromise to the point of accepting playing with this Axl employee who absolutely butchers the songs?

And then you have a Matt Sorum book leak where he says with all the words that Duff and Slash didn't want to pĺay with the Axl drummer but accepted anyway

What are they doing this for if they think the drummer sucks?

To what extent they had to compromise to get this going?

If you compromise the very heart of it -- the music -- then what is the point?
ludurigan
ludurigan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next