APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster
APPETITE FOR DISCUSSION
Welcome to Appetite for Discussion -- a Guns N' Roses fan forum!

Please feel free to look around the forum as a guest, I hope you will find something of interest. If you want to join the discussions or contribute in other ways then you need to become a member. We especially welcome anyone who wants to share documents for our archive or would be interested in translating or transcribing articles and interviews.

Registering is free and easy.

Cheers!
SoulMonster

Duff shares title track from new solo album "Lighthouse"

3 posters

Go down

Duff shares title track from new solo album "Lighthouse" Empty Duff shares title track from new solo album "Lighthouse"

Post by ludurigan Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:06 pm

“The crashing….the cresting waves, the falling through of all that surrounds you. Life sometimes tosses us around, and we feel the want of comfort and the pull of home.  A ship tossed like a toy through the Cape, sails ripped and the wood groaning with the scraping of its ballast….a soul trying with all its might to find peace and a center.  Find a lighthouse. I have my lighthouse….its beacon swirling in the darkness with her warmth and promise of nurture, love, laughter, and all that is true.  Won’t you be my lighthouse, give me light,…and bring me home.”

Duff shares title track from new solo album "Lighthouse" Lighthouse_LP

Lighthouse now marks the first full length collection born in McKagan’s studio. Songs like Hope (featuring veteran Paul McCartney drummer Abe Laboriel Jr and melodic lead guitar from Slash) and the philosophical I Just Don’t Know (featuring contributions from McKagan’s longtime friend, Jerry Cantrell of Alice in Chains) see McKagan baring more of his artistic spirit than ever before, fusing acoustic elements with hard-edged rock ‘n’ roll to land at the sweet spot between soul-searching reflection and pure energy. The 11-song collection is further highlighted by an additional take on the title track, Lighthouse (reprise), joined by the one and only Iggy Pop.

Source = https://duffonline.com/

===

I have looked at the album cover for a while and I can't figure out what it is. Any of you guys can? It looks like a woman -- probably a princess -- fainting over a cliff and a castle that looks like a a knight in armour that has been ripped. What in the fuck?

I have listened to the song twice and I don't plan to ever do it again. I couldn't get any enjoyment out of it. It sounds like a mess of hippie & religious cliches. I don't know if the music and the lyrics are embarrassing per se or if it is the way Duff sings/plays it. It might be both. Feels like this
ludurigan
ludurigan

Plectra : 5451

Back to top Go down

Duff shares title track from new solo album "Lighthouse" Empty Re: Duff shares title track from new solo album "Lighthouse"

Post by Soulmonster Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:34 pm

I didn't like the cover either.

Lyrically, this is very much like QOTSA's Fortress:

I still can't take Duff's vocals and enunciation, but I like the song. I like the build towards the climactic ending. The drums are good and the background singing reminds me of Pink Floyd.
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76581

ludurigan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Duff shares title track from new solo album "Lighthouse" Empty Re: Duff shares title track from new solo album "Lighthouse"

Post by Blackstar Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:58 am

Press release via Blabbermouth:
-------------------------------------------

Guns N' Roses Bassist Duff McKagan Shares New Solo Song 'I Saw God On 10th St.'
July 26, 2023

Duff McKagan has shared "I Saw God On 10th St.", the new single from his eagerly awaited third solo album, "Lighthouse", arriving everywhere on Friday, October 20. An official visualizer can be seen below.

"I picture him as an old guy with white beard and hair, leaning up against a wall on a city street," says McKagan. "The ultimate jurist of us all. Pissed off, squinting eyes to ward off what he sees, spitting frequently with no care for who may be around. The Creator. God. Allah, Shiva...or whomever. I think I see him sometimes over on 10th St., hands in tight fists, and toes curled up and tense."

"Lighthouse" will be available in several variations, including CD, deluxe CD with fold-out photo print, cassette, standard black vinyl, and deluxe vinyl in a host of colors, each with lithographs, booklet, sticker, and guitar pick. Signed versions and exclusive store versions will be available as well.

For more than 40 years, McKagan has been an unstoppable creative force, spanning a multitude of bands, tours, collaborations, and writings. Now, with his long-awaited new solo album, "Lighthouse", the veteran musician proves to be, at his heart, a gifted singer-songwriter with a distinctive knack for authenticity and introspection.

In 2019, McKagan opened his own recording studio, allowing him a long-hoped-for opportunity to "finally explore songs that I may have written the night before or some of those old riffs from years ago. This is a big deal for me." He spent much of the next two years working with longtime producer/collaborator Martin Feveyear (Mark Lanegan, Brandi Carlile),chipping away at a series of intensely personal new songs.

"Lighthouse" now marks the first full-length collection born in McKagan's studio. Songs like "Hope" (featuring veteran Paul McCartney drummer Abe Laboriel Jr. and melodic lead guitar from Slash) and the philosophical "I Just Don't Know" (featuring contributions from McKagan's longtime friend, Jerry Cantrell of Alice In Chains) see McKagan baring more of his artistic spirit than ever before, fusing acoustic elements with hard-edged rock 'n' roll to land at the sweet spot between soul-searching reflection and pure energy. The 11-song collection is further highlighted by an additional take on the title track, "Lighthouse (Reprise)", joined by the one and only Iggy Pop.

McKagan first unveiled his new music earlier this year with "This Is The Song", a three-song EP honoring Mental Health Awareness Month alongside a call to action on Propeller. The EP — which was met by critical applause in Rolling Stone, Consequence Of Sound, Loudwire and American Songwriter, to name just a few — includes the deeply moving title track, "This Is The Song", joined by an official companion video streaming now on YouTube.

Starting at just 15, McKagan has been a part of such diverse and influential bands as THE VAINS (1979),THE FASTBACKS (1980),THE LIVING (1982),THE FARTZ (1982),10 MINUTE WARNING (1983) and LOADED (1998),along, of course, with his historic role as founding member of both GUNS N' ROSES and VELVET REVOLVER. Produced by three-time Grammy Award winner Shooter Jennings, McKagan's 2019 second solo album, "Tenderness", marked a powerful new chapter for the ever-evolving artist, taking on societal ills and his own personal transgressions against a rich sonic backdrop of Americana-fueled arrangements. Named by Loudwire as one of that year's "50 Best Rock Albums" and hailed by Rolling Stone in a three-and-a-half (out of four)-starred rave as "an album full of beauty and heart…It's music of conscience, heavy songs with a light touch," the album includes the volatile rocker "Chip Away", which earned extraordinary praise from the maestro himself, Bob Dylan, who recently declared the song a personal favorite.

"There's a Duff McKagan song called 'Chip Away' that has profound meaning for me," Dylan told The Wall Street Journal. "It's a graphic song. Chip away, chip away, like Michelangelo, breaking up solid marble stone to discover the form of King David inside. He didn't build him from the ground up, he chipped away the stone until he discovered the king. It's like my own songwriting, I overwrite something, then I chip away lines and phrases until I get to the real thing."

Along with his prolific musical efforts, McKagan is The New York Times best-selling author of 2011's "It's So Easy: And Other Lies" and 2015's "How To Be A Man: (And Other Illusions)", and the co-host (with Susan Holmes McKagan) of SiriusXM's popular "Three Chords & The Truth" radio show on Ozzy's Boneyard (Ch. 38). McKagan currently serves as a core member of a modern-day "Wrecking Crew" alongside Grammy Award-winning musician/producer Andrew Watt and RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS' Chad Smith, recording and co-writing on such recent albums as Ozzy Osbourne's "Ordinary Man" (2020) and two-time Grammy Award-winning "Patient No. 9" (2022) and Iggy Pop's acclaimed "Every Loser" (2023). What's more, McKagan — with Watt, Smith, and RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS' Josh Klinghoffer — is part of the recently unveiled IGGY POP & THE LOSERS lineup, who made a high-profile televised debut earlier this year with an electrifying performance of the feverish "Frenzy" on ABC's "Jimmy Kimmel Live!"

McKagan is currently traveling with GUNS N' ROSES on an epic global tour set to touch down in North America beginning August 5 at Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada's Croix-Bieue Medavie stadium.

"Lighthouse" track listing:

01. Lighthouse
02. Longfeather
03. Holy Water
04. I Saw God On 10th St
05. Fallen
06. Forgiveness
07. Just Another Shakedown
08. Fallen Ones
09. Hope (feat. Slash)
10. I Just Don't Know (feat. Jerry Cantrell)
11. Lighthouse (Reprise) (feat. Iggy Pop)

https://blabbermouth.net/news/guns-n-roses-bassist-duff-mckagan-shares-new-solo-song-i-saw-god-on-10th-st
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Plectra : 87081

Uli likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:24 pm

Video of another song from Duff's album has been released:

Press release/Blabbermouth:
-----------------------------------

Guns N' Roses Bassist Duff McKagan Shares Music Video For New Solo Song 'Longfeather'

Duff McKagan has shared "Longfeather", the new single from his eagerly awaited third solo album, "Lighthouse", arriving everywhere on Friday, October 20. The song's official music video, directed by Connor Ellmann, Kuj Durollari and Arben Durollari, can be seen below.

"'Today is a good day to die' refers not to a macabre yearning for death," says McKagan, "but rather a lust for life and the learned habits of a good and honest daily striving. Longfeather was protecting his home. He couldn't hold up ALL of the Western wave….but he did his everything to keep his family safe. O Longfeather is gone. And O, Longfeather is home. I see you. I see you. Thank you Longfeather for giving me hope and a solid place to stand."

"Lighthouse" will be available in several variations, including CD, deluxe CD with fold-out photo print, cassette, standard black vinyl, and deluxe vinyl in a host of colors, each with lithographs, booklet, sticker, and guitar pick. Signed versions and exclusive store versions will be available as well.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/guns-n-roses-bassist-duff-mckagan-shares-music-video-for-new-solo-song-longfeather
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Soulmonster and Uli like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soulmonster Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:16 am

Not bad at all. Still don't like his singing voice but he is becoming a better singer at least Smile
Soulmonster
Soulmonster
Band Lawyer

Admin & Founder
Plectra : 76581

Uli and Blackstar like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:58 pm

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:35 am

I don't know which is the biggest cring-inducer: Duff new songs or Duff press releases

ludurigan
ludurigan

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:47 am

Duff on Jimmy Kimmel, January 9

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:08 am

Blackstar wrote:Duff on Jimmy Kimmel, January 9

This song confuses me, i don't know why, it seems like it is not on the 4/4 "regular" beat like basically 99,9% of the songs that we know

Whatever is going on here it seems like some guys are playing one song and some guys are playing another song, it is annoying to my brain
ludurigan
ludurigan

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:10 pm

Duff has released a new music video for the song Fallen, filmed during the last GN'R tour:

Press release/Blabbermouth:
------------------------------------

Duff McKagan Releases Music Video For 'Fallen', His Love Song For His Wife Susan

Guns N' Roses bassist Duff McKagan has released the official music video for the song "Fallen" from his third solo album, "Lighthouse". The clip was directed and edited by Dan Sturgess and can be seen below.

Duff stated about the track and the video: "It's true. I have and remain fallen. To be able to express it with lyrics and music is sometimes the difficult bit….but this song is my latest attempt at trying to illuminate what it's like for me…with [my wife] Susan.

"Dan Sturgess spent a few months filming with GN'R on the road in the U.K., Europe, and North America. During this time, Dan really got to know Susan and I….or at least how he saw us through his excellent camera work and editing prowess.

"I've found over the years, that its sometimes a bit awkward to be comfortable when a camera is rolling, but Dan just became somewhat invisible, or at least his camera did, when we'd hang out and travel and do gigs.

"This video for the song 'Fallen' does a pretty great job of getting the gist of how Susan Holmes McKagan and I roll. We have fun, work hard, and every day, we love each other. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did."

Duff previously said about the inspiration for "Fallen": "'Fallen' is a song I wrote for — inspired by my wife, Susan. If I say I wrote the song… I have a good situation at home that she gives me plenty of leeway to be creative. I have a studio. She's, like, 'You should get over to the studio. Create something killer today.' And to have that is awesome.

"My wife and I, our kids are grown," he continued. "And we have great kids. But we're empty nesting at this point and have been for a few years. So, when I say [in the song] 'I try to be indecent when that's what you need', it kind of means what it says. But it's a love song for my lovely wife, Susan."

https://blabbermouth.net/news/duff-mckagan-releases-music-video-for-fallen-his-love-song-for-his-wife-susan

Last edited by Blackstar on Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:31 pm

WARNING: THE DIALOGUE BELOW IS PURELY FICTIONAL AND NEVER HAPPENED

Very Happy

Puff - Hey man, so this is it! Today! Such a big crew! There are like 10 guys with cameras out there! And this make-up people and...

Crash - No, no man, it's a no go

Puff - Wait, what?

Crash - Yeah, Jacksel

Puff - Again?

Crash - Again. Can't do today. Won't do today. Just got a message from Chips. The video guys don't even know yet

Puff - Fuck

Crash - Yeah man

Puff - So...

Crash - So... no go.

Puff - What do we do? Tomorrow?

Crash - I don't think so man. I don't think we will do anything

Puff - How come?

Crash - Chips said they will use live stuff for the video. They have a lot. They shot Portland, Houston and Miami.

Puff - Ah, ok. Just like the other one. And the other one

Crash - They will probably use some AI too

Puff - AI? Seriously?

Crash - Yeah, some anime manga bullshit for the teenagers. I don't know man. And I don't fucking care

Puff - Wow... So... basically... we are... royally... paying these guys... to shoot us today... and they won't do it... because they can't do it... because... Jacksel

Crash - Yeah man... Look: I know. Ok? We know... You and me. We know better than anyone in the music business. Right?

Puff - Yeah. Sorry man

Crash - Yeah

Puff - Thank God we are making so much dough this time around that we can afford it no problem

Crash - Yeah, all things considered, this that and the other...

Puff - We are making so much dough that we could have afforded Jeff too man!

Crash - Oh man, no, please don't start it again

Puff - Sorry. Won't do it. Won't go there again. Sorry

Crash - Please

Puff - OK. [pause] Now, look, there is a bright side to everything, right?

Crash - Huh?

Puff - Look, we are spreading the goodies. Sharing the gold. Our hard-earned money is going to the pocket of hard working Americans!

Crash - Yeah. But not that much hard work today for these hard-working Americans! Easy day today! Get paid to do nothing!

Puff - Yeah

[long pause]

Puff - Hey! I just thought something

Crash - Yeah?

Puff - Yeah. You know what? I am gonna use these guys

Crash - What do you mean? How are you gonna "use" them?

Puff [looking to the side]- Susy, babe, come here for a second

Susy - Yeah babe. Coming...

Puff - Love, do you remember that idea you had for the video? Me and you... walking... and talking? And that other part? Remember?

Susy - Yes, yes, I do. You said you liked it

Puff - Yes. I did say that babe. Because I did like it. And I liked specially that part...

Crash [interrupting] - So basically you are thinking about...

Puff [interrupting] - Do you think I can do it? Just use these guys for a few hours? I mean, we are paying them!

Crash - I guess so

Puff - Why not, right?

Crash - Yeah... all things considered... this, that and the other...

Puff - Great! [turns to Susy] Wait here babe. I will be back in a sec. Gonna call Chips and talk to these guys. New plans! I think we have a video to do today!

Last edited by ludurigan on Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
ludurigan
ludurigan

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:51 pm

Well, they did the music video for Perhaps, @ludurigan.

I think a shot in Duff's Fallen video is in the Perhaps video, too.
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:23 pm

Blackstar wrote:Well, they did the music video for Perhaps, @ludurigan.

I think a shot in Duff's Fallen video is in the Perhaps video, too.

Of course they did

My bad

I just can't tell one video from the other

This Duff video seems like an outtake from the Axl/Slash/Duff videos

I just imagined a scene

Pure fiction

Maybe I should change names when I do that

Use "Puff" and "Crash" and "Jacksel" and "Suzy" instead of their real names

Someone might read this and think this is an actual dialogue that actually happened

Yeah

Will do

Very Happy
ludurigan
ludurigan

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:33 pm

Blackstar wrote:I think a shot in Duff's Fallen video is in the Perhaps video, too.

Facepalm
ludurigan
ludurigan

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:24 am

Duff has announced the release of an expanded version of the Lighthouse album and of the concert at Easy Street Records in Seattle.

Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackstar Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:58 pm

LIGHTHOUSE EXPANDED EDITION, OUT NOW featuring 19 tracks including unreleased studio and live tracks

“It’s very nice for me to add the THIS IS THE SONG E.P. from earlier last year, into the mix here of the LIGHTHOUSE record itself. Playing EASY STREET RECORDS in December was made much cooler when my erstwhile producer Martin Feveyear came up with the idea to record the show. We have included that recorded live show to this expanded release. There is also a studio track called C’MON BOYS that
really only became a song when legendary Austin blues man and rockabilly god JESSE DAYTON stopped by the studio with his guitar and voice! I hope you all enjoy.”

- Duff

https://www.instagram.com/p/C40wEnwP9h-/
Blackstar
Blackstar
ADMIN

Back to top Go down

Post by ludurigan Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:38 pm

They made the full Easy Street Records show available on Youtube and I listened to it/ watched it yesterday

I was shocked

it sounds sooooooo doctored, so clean, so perfect, it doesn't sound like a live recording AT ALL

I was actually annoyed by how fake and blank and lifeless it sounds

Whatever they did with that "live" recording it just sounds like they removed all the soul and feel of it!
ludurigan
ludurigan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down